AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Field IQ controling a SCV
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/2/2017 08:57 (#6049968 - in reply to #6048068)
Subject: RE: Field IQ controling a SCV

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I played with something along this line several years ago. My idea was to utilize one of the tractor's SCVs to run an orbit motor for a granular fertilizer spreader. Normally the SCV was set in the retract position and the controller (Raven 440) operated a hydraulic control valve on the spreader. My thought was to have the Raven run the SCV on the tractor to eliminate the need for the hydraulic control valve on the spreader.

This sort of worked but I never followed through on it. The tractor was a now old 8310. Since the SCVs on that tractor use a PWM type signal, I reasoned that I could cut the wires to the SCV valve and have the Raven 440 run the valve. The 440 would be setup as PWM CLOSE control.

I cut the wires leading to one of the SCVs and installed a weatherpak connectors on them so they could be plugged back together to operate normally. When using the Raven, I would unhook the SCV from the tractor's original connection and plug it into the Raven's Green and Yellow wires.

The first thing that happened is when I started the tractor with the wires plugged into the Raven instead of their original location was that I got an error message on the dash. Apparently the tractor's system was expecting to find a "load" on those wires due to the valve being connected. Since it didn't find this load, the error message appeared. I was told later that using a resistor of the proper size would have fooled the system into thinking that the SCV was still connected.

I just ignored the error message and tried running the orbit motor. I was able to start/stop it and change its speed through the Raven 440. To this extent it was successful. My intended application never materialized and I abandoned the project. I still have the tractor with the SCV plugged into the tractor.

I'm not familiar with Field IQ but I think what you desire could be done with Ag Leader components. I would envision using a Clutch Control module which is normally used for section control on planters or drills and use some relays to run the valves on the tractor. I would expect that if you cut the wires to the SCV you will receive an error message such as I did.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)