AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

International 3588, 2+2 transfer case oil question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Posted 5/28/2017 15:55 (#6042213)
Subject: International 3588, 2+2 transfer case oil question.

Death comes to us all. Life's but a walking shadow
I have an older IH 3588 which I use for many years for heavy tillage. This articulated tractor has a transfer case just behind where front & rear portions flex. An input shaft comes from the rear end to transfer case and then the output shaft goes forward to drive the front wheels. This gear case has a filler port coming out near the top and a round sight glass lower down to check the oil level. Since this gear case leaks very slightly, I check the level periodically and refill as needed.
Until today, while servicing the tractor I notice the level was below the glass so I opened the filler plug in order to add oil. The elbow fitting was full of oil which is unusual. Thinking that it was some how plugged I applied a little air pressure to the port and it seem to pressurize the case but the oil didn't drain down. I then removed the whole fitting into the case and there seemed to be oil at the level of the fitting in the case. In fact it ran out a little. I'm quite certain that the sight glass isn't showing oil.
What could be causing the filler port to be obstructed? In the past, this filler port alway seem to take oil slowly but that just required a little patience on my part.
I don't really want to use the tractor until I understand & solve this issue.
Any suggestions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)