AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Clothes washer??Don't rag on me, important machinery for farm clothes....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WYDave
Posted 11/11/2008 12:00 (#503370 - in reply to #503032)
Subject: RE: Clothes washer??Don't rag on me, important machinery for farm clothes....

Wyoming

We now do own a front-load washing machine. The Sears HE5 with steam.

Does it clean farm clothes, with hydraulic oil, grease and blood fixed in the stain? Yes. It cleans better than anything we've ever seen.

It was a rather spendy appliance, but the CFO wanted a good washer, and now that we're paying more for energy, I wanted to start buying appliances that used a lot less of it - in the case of a washing machine, I want it to use a lot less hot water.

This uses only a little bit of water (compared to a vertical load machine), but it takes 2X+ as long to do a load. The clothes come out amazingly clean. The latest miracle that the machine performed was on my union suit, which had been sitting in a box, covered in engine oil stains, hydraulic oil, grease, dirt, hay stains. You name it. Last time I had it on I was under a balewagon fixing some doggone thing or other.

The CFO allocated it to its very own load. Put the machine on "super heavy dirt," kicked on the steam cycle, put in the highest amount of detergent and let 'er rip. Over 90 minutes later, out it came... clean as new.

#1 reason I hear for the front loads not getting stuff clean: not using the HE detergent. If you use conventional detergents, you get too much suds and clothes don't come clean.

We've had the machine now only since August. If folks want future reports on the ability of the machine to clean crap out of clothes, I'm figuring on washing my Carhartt ranch coat when I get back from this trip to NV. I'll take before/after pics if there is interest. It is dirty enough right now that the CFO tells me to never lean on a wall and to not give her a hug while I'm wearing the thing.

Only downside from the CFO's perspective: It isn't a good machine for felting knitted wool. She does lots of knitting and crafty fabric work, and every now and then she felts knitted wool. Apparently, the top-load agitator machines are better at this.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)