AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another tree question.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

conservation cop
Posted 5/24/2017 16:00 (#6035515)
Subject: Another tree question.....

Gettysburg, PA

So, my little piece of paradise has way, way too many hickories.  So, over the past 4 years I have been thinning the hickories and adding new trees. Planted red oaks, river birch, black gum, red bud, dogwood, red maple and last year I planted sycamores.  These are all just bare root seedlings.  So the 10 sycamores I planted did really well.  My best one last year which looked great, put on lots of leaves and I thought was going to do great suddenly died in early June.  All the leaves turned brown literally in a span of 3 days.  My second best had a very similar issue in late August.  The one that died in June was dead.  I continued to water it with the other seedlings hoping that maybe it would come back but didn't.  The one that went brown in August had buds this spring and I thought it would come around.  All those buds dried up before ever opening.  So, I thought it was dead.  I've left it go and now I see new buds coming on.  Another sycamore broke budded, had lots of leaves and then suddenly all those leaves turned brown.  This one was in a tree tube.  So I see the brown leaves, say to myself "damn, another one died".  I pulled the tube and see that one lone twig at the bottom had some green leaves.  So, I let it be to see what happens.  Well the rest of the tree got new buds and are now opening up.  So, what gives with these dang sycamores?  Is this something that happens with them sometimes??  Picture of the latest sycamore with the dead leaves and the new ones coming on.

(20170524_163857[1].jpg)

(20170524_163857[2].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20170524_163857[1].jpg (212KB - 111 downloads)
Attachments 20170524_163857[2].jpg (212KB - 106 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)