AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starter engagement IH 786
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ag Quest
Posted 5/24/2017 06:15 (#6034569)
Subject: Starter engagement IH 786

Mid. Michigan
Here is the sequence of events. Turned the tractor off for refuel and when I attempted to start it a light single click under floor could be heard. Smelled burnt wireing so quit trying. Pulled solonoid and it smelled burnt so changed it. Still no go and key would not energize solonoid. Took screwdriver and jumped terminals thinking I had also smoked ignition wires and still no engagement nor could I hear solonoid kick in. So now I remove starter (what a bugger to get to) and find broken teeth on the Bendix of starter but very minimal nicks on a few teeth of flywheel. Starter was taken to reputable shop for rebuild and came back with new solonoid as well. Reinstall,switch/key no function so jump terminals again and now hear solonoid engage but stater appears not to engage flywheel? No grinding,squeel nothing. Am thinking maybe just a small nick on flywheel is stopping engagement. SOOO how do I advance flywheel enough to possibly get starter to mesh? Is there a way without removing starter? Note: I have never ever heard the starter grind nor make bad contact with flywheel. In fact this has been the easiest starting tractor I've been around. Usually starts in less than a second of turning key, even after sitting. Give me some ideas of what to check next! Please
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)