AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building a better cover crop roller
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NEMOScott
Posted 5/21/2017 13:49 (#6029270)
Subject: Building a better cover crop roller

Callao, Missouri
This year we are trying a roller. We really aren't having much luck getting anything to lay down, and haven't really been able to terminate anything but cereal rye.

I know the people who have been doing this for years are waiting to roll until specific plant stages to accomplish their goals but in order for this to work for us it's going to have to be more flexible in regards to plant maturity, weather, timing, etc.

The first thing that I noticed is that the crimping blades on this roller are really thick-maybe a 1/2". I think if it had bolt on sections of something like hardened but pointed like motor grader blades, it might be able to put enough point pressure down in order to do more to stems that aren't yet mature. These sections would need to be easily replaceable as I'm sure they would damage easily.

Another thing I noticed is if we went opposite of the planter, or doubled back in the same pass with the roller, we had better results. This makes me think that we need some sort of rotating drum directly before the crimper to move the plants into position to better crimp.

Lastly, I wonder if performance would be better if the crimper was powered, either moving slightly faster or slower than ground speed. This might cause the residue mat to clump though.

Anyone have other ideas or experience making changes such as these?

Edited by NEMOScott 5/21/2017 13:58

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (158KB - 14 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)