AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Computer Internet Connection Trouble...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

kawartha
Posted 5/7/2017 10:06 (#6004910 - in reply to #6004627)
Subject: RE: New Computer Internet Connection Trouble...

Aaron SEIA - 5/7/2017 07:17

Correct on the connection. Hard Ethernet cable into router. Hard wire comes back out of router to Ethernet card on desktop. At the moment things seem to be going ok. If it continues to be a problem I might go with a USB dongle. For $20 I can at least try. Will look into the fast start deal, but this thing boots pretty slow for what I was expecting out of the bragged up boot times.
AaronSEIA

Good to hear you've got it working again.

Have you located the Device Manager on that new desktop yet? I wonder whether there may be a WiFi adapter already installed inside your new desktop just waiting to be set-up. As others have already stated, those USB WiFi dongles work just fine.
Your Ethernet adapter status is available there too ... enable/disable, update/roll-back drivers etc. There is an update driver feature in there but I don't know where they're downloaded from ... perhaps they are just those provided by Microsoft.

To open the Device Manager click on what used to be called the Start button at the very bottom left corner of the screen to open the Search box. The Search box may already be visible at bottom left, depends how it's set-up.

1. In the Search box type Device Manager
2. A menu will appear, click on Device Manager. The Device Manager will then start-up.
3. Scroll down through the device list until you find the Network adapters. Click on the little arrow to display the drop-down list of installed Network adapters.
4. To check on the status of the Ethernet adapter and driver double click on that device.
5. If there is already a WiFi adapter installed it will appear in that drop-down list. If listed double click to investigate further.

I purchased a HP all-in-one touchscreen model 2 or 3 years back with Windows 8.1 ... I updated it to Windows 10 which didn't go well at all ... eventually had to do a clean install but the WiFi connectivity issues continued on after that until I finally disabled that fast start-up.
Anyway, it came from the factory WITH an internal WiFi adapter. May be worth checking that out if you've not already done so. Of course the older desktop tower models never used to include an internal WiFi adapter but in this day and age of wireless connections you'd think manufactures would build WiFi capability in from the factory.

Edited by kawartha 5/7/2017 10:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)