AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vertical tillage vs covers in heavy rain events.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jocoshar23
Posted 4/30/2017 14:52 (#5992004 - in reply to #5991725)
Subject: RE: Vertical tillage vs covers in heavy rain events.

SE IA
The shallow tillage tools can create problems for erosion. I've noticed you get more "sheet" erosion where it takes the top half inch of soil off the entire hillside vs the field cutilvator where the channels may be deeper but only in the gullies.

Phoenix or Phillips harrows in no till fields may not do any better than a VT tool. And I know there are a lot of no till guys that use those tools. Or they say they are no till. It gets old.

I've seen some guys no till that think they can get by with fewer waterways because they no till, and I've seen some guys moldboard plow and have major problems. I've seen some guys who no till and believe they don't have to contour anymore (wrong). Can't classify all tillage as bad and all no till as good because there is the exception to everything.

Everyone can improve on our conservation efforts. I know some really good farmers that no till and I also know some really good farmers that do some tillage. And I know some of each that don't always think conservationally minded.

I do believe that autosteer and larger planters have ruined people's desires to contour what should be contoured.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)