AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does Salt tie up N Or is it the gypsum?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SLC
Posted 4/29/2017 20:14 (#5990347)
Subject: Does Salt tie up N Or is it the gypsum?

I have a farm that is irrigated with water with an elevated sodium and chloride levels. The last several years I've been applying 1 ton of mined gypsum per acre to help counter and leach the salts in the soil. The source of the salts is the irrigation water, so this will be an ongoing issue, I understand that The farm is no-tilled , and crops are wheat, corn, and milo. As a side note, I am interested in the "salt excluder" soybean vareties that Channel Seed has, does anyone want to share there experience with them? Back to my original question... I surface apply the gypsumin late fall or winter. It is not incorporated, since this is no-till. On my wheat, I apply 60-70 lbs N at planting time, and topdress more in early spring. I hope to, and usually do, have some moisture between gyp application and topdressing. However, It even with 150 lb N my wheat is still deficient. So I'm wondering if my N is being tied up by the salts, or maybe the gypsum, or ??? Does anyone have some idea what is happening??? TIA, Clayton
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)