AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How big is yours?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

mojave
Posted 4/29/2017 14:40 (#5989719)
Subject: How big is yours?

NE SD
Your corn planter I mean. When I hear that allot of farmers in other parts of the county have a 16 row for 500 acres or a 24 row for 1000 acres I think that would be great but assume that for most its not practical? Am I wrong? Here I think we are a little under gunned for our acres as we have a 24 row planter dedicated to corn and usually plant around 2400 acres of corn every year. It would be nice to have 2 24 row planters for our acres but financially its not in the cards as it means having another tractor to run it and another guy that knows what he's doing etc. Even if we did that is under gunned compared to the guys above but I have to believe they are over doing it a little. Good for them. I'd do the same if we could afford to. Anyway, it makes me wonder how many row planter is most economical per 500 acres.

If everyone posted the size of their planter and their location that would explain allot of why they do what they do. On our farm we planted 25 acres a week ago to make sure everything worked good and was ready to go even though we knew it was going to get down in the high 20's for three nights in a row after. We are planting today even though ground temp won't be above 50 until around May 4th or so. But if we wait until May 4th to plant I know we won't get it all in by May 10th which is when I know we will likely start losing yield if planted much later than that on an average year. And this year seems to be starting out as average or below temp wise. So we are gonna plant some today and hit it hard next week.

Again, we have a 24 row for 2400 acres of corn. About 100 acres per row. I know it has come up in other threads but if you don't mind sharing....how big of a planter do you have for your corn acres?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)