AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EZ Steer going wild 2
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Iowajim
Posted 4/25/2017 19:55 (#5982085)
Subject: EZ Steer going wild 2

NW Iowa
A few weeks ago I posted about my EZ steer going wild out of the blue and having to grab the wheel to settle it down. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions for a remedy. BS Hauler, I have your number written down.

Yesterday was the first time I had a chance to take it to the field to try some of your suggestions. I was spraying level bean stubble at 8 MPH and it seemed to over steer a bit. It held the line OK until I got on a side hill or if I went over a rut, then it would start weaving. My steering angle was 8 percent and the on line aggressiveness at about 80 percent. As I drove along I got to thinking about the tractor wheelbase measurement setting. I reasoned the auto steer would turn the steering wheel farther to make corrections on a longer wheel based tractor than it would with a shorter wheel based tractor so I went into vehicle setup and shortened the wheelbase measurement from 120" to 110" and that pretty well solved the problem. The steering wheel moved much less while cruising down the field and there was no more weaving. This is just an uneducated guess, but I think the 4650 Deere I was driving steered quicker than the auto steer thought it would at the measurements I had entered.

With the steering movement reduced I started experimenting with upping the steering angle. I raised it to 30 degrees, then just to see what happened I set the aggressiveness at the max. It seemed to settle down a slight bit more and drove real nice, but one time when I went over an angled manure spreader rut it got to weaving and I had to grab the wheel so I'm not quite there yet adjustment-wise. This was at 8 MPH. Also, now when turning on the ends with a 60 foot boom I can re engage the auto steer when I'm part way around and it will seek the line, usually without over correcting and going nuts, but not always. I had a banner day and am done spraying so next job for this tractor is planter duty at 5 MPH on the straightaway and 3 MPH on the turns. I'll see what happens then, IF it quits raining. Thanks again for the help and feel free to correct me if need be.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)