AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fields getting green - Strip Till -- Advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Diesel Dan
Posted 4/25/2017 19:08 (#5982003 - in reply to #5981619)
Subject: RE: Fields getting green - Strip Till -- Advice

Near Lansing, MI
georgejr - 4/25/2017 14:29

We put our Atrazine (Acuron) right after stripping and planting so any soil disturbed is treated with Acuron and green is hit with Roundup as well. Kill the seeds and the green or hope to get it all at least. Doing nothing till V2-V5 I don't think is a good option as you have the weeks with a huge head start over your corn. We come back and spray once more in the corn as our Post application and generally have very clean fields. We have standard 30" rows and we follow beans on 1/3 of our acres with this program as well. Stripping and spraying in one pass isn't something we have tried.... Are you applying any Fert with the spring strip or just getting the soil loose? We used to fluff the strip in the spring on some acres and some just planted over the Fall strip. This season we are doing all spring strips due to erosion over winter and less passes in the field. Bit of change on our Fert program to do this but time will tell if it was a good choice. Spraying we run a 120ft boom during the 9am-6pm best window for roundup to work unless I have to go thru the night to hit a rain for the Atrazine to be effective. Few years back I had to run thru the night and didn't have to come back early with Roundup again but isn't my first choice. Winds were bad and rain was coming.

Food Grade Soybeans is much harder to deal with to keep the fields clean, but for Corn and our fields this approach has worked well for the past several years so I'm sure that will be changing soon too. ;-)

We are growing lots of conventional corn, but I suppose we could chase the planter with a shot of round up.

Putting down a blend of 200lbs dry fert. N, P, and S

Edited by Diesel Dan 4/25/2017 19:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)