AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

oldbones
Posted 4/24/2017 20:26 (#5980476 - in reply to #5979713)
Subject: RE: What is it?

Floyd County, Iowa
showboat - 4/24/2017 08:45

...............there was the neighbor who was slinging clay pigeons over into my open field, so he could shoot at them. ............................................... showboat

I rented a farm that surrounded a sporting clay range. The range always had the clays going out over the fields. I noticed, after a few years, that there was nothing growing (not even weeds) where the broken clays were landing.
Range operator said they were bio-degradable, and gave me a label from a box. I took soil samples from the areas, and had them tested. The PH was crazy. Required something like 40 tons/acre to correct the PH. I did some research on the clays, and there was something (can't remember now what it was) in the clays that made the soil acidic. I bought a dump truck of ag lime, and spread it on those areas (maybe a 1/2 acre total in 7 different areas) for a couple years.
After a year, started to get some weeds coming back, then over the next few years, the crop started coming in.
Landlord terminated the lease to the clay range operator due to fears of all the lead shot that was accumulating. They had "shoots" 2 and 3 times a week, and landlord was worried about lead contaminations.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)