AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ear tags?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Nebraska Sandhiller
Posted 4/23/2017 15:08 (#5978404 - in reply to #5977646)
Subject: RE: Ear tags?

NNW Nebraska
I use bocloc brisket tags in my cows. Cow # only. Get them with numbers on. Past experience has been hand numbers fade bad. This could be different now, as i noticed I do have a few that hand marked is still fair. These tags stay in the best of any tags I have used.

I also keep 1 ear tag in the cows. It has cow number with my last name above. If cows get out, even new neighbors in neighboring rentals figure out who to call.

I have one neighbor who is a BTO and am afraid a poorly marked cow could easily dissappear in their large herd. Brands are not always clearly readable.

None of my neighbors use brisket tags, so it is easy to identify a cow as mine at a distance.

Brisket tag by itself may be harder to resd, but not always. Often in the calving lot, I can read the brisket tag first.

My cousin once used a type of brisket tag that had a tag on both sides of the brisket. Tool to install them was like a broad head arrow. His hired man stabbed himself in the leg with that tool while tagging cows. He did not make it to the hospital before he died. I won't be using those.

Calves get a ear tag with cows number with my last name above number.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)