AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hagie Raven to Ag Leader
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/21/2017 07:16 (#5974795 - in reply to #5974695)
Subject: RE: Hagie Raven to Ag Leader

Southern Minnesota Between Freeborn & Wells
E718 - 4/21/2017 05:31

We have taken out Raven 460 and put in Versa. To the point of assigning switches. For the master, is the red wire, marked master, in with the wires going to the Hagie switch panel associated with switch E2 on display page to assign switches?

No, but E2 could be used as the Master. Confused? Ag Leader allows you to use input switches of your choice. By default with a sprayer, the system will default or assume that you will be using the Master switch as the overall Master and Switch 1 (F2) for Boom 1, Switch 2 (F3) for Boom 2 etc. About 99% of the time that is correct and away you go.

In your case I'm guessing that you are using a special cable that goes to the OEM switches. This cable has branches for seven boom sections and a Master. In simple terms, it could/should be used as the Master. This wire needs to go to the output from your Master switch or actually to the input (not output) on any boom switch. You want the red wire to go to a location that is hot when the Master is ON. Without using the red wire, the system will not spray. This would be the usual way to work with the Master.

The following may lead to more confusion rather than help.

However you can change this if you wish. For example suppose you have the Auxiliary Input Module with their 10 boom box or Ag Leader's 10 Boom CAN switch box which contains the Auxiliary Input Module. Most people would just use the Master for its intended purpose.

Maybe you would like to have a Master in a different place or maybe a foot switch. This is possible by using E2. E2 is located at Pin 4 of the Switch B (brown connector). It is also available on the extra connector on the 10 Boom CAN switchbox. These are not used much but they can be.

By putting a properly wired switch in that location you could use this new switch as your Master. You would need to change the configuration and inform the Versa that you wish it to watch E2 rather than the original Master switch. This change would stay with the configuration and once done would stay that way for that configuration. The configuration dictates which switch to watch. If the configuration is set to use E2 as the Master then the original Master has no effect, it could be ON or OFF, mostly likely OFF. Likewise if the configuration is set to use the original Master switch, then E2 has no effect. The switches are not wired in parallel or series, they are independent inputs and you must inform the system which one you wish to use for that configuration.

If you choose to choose to use a different switch to E2 instead of the Master, it does require a bit of a trick. The Ag Leader system uses a scheme called "switch presence" and also "switch detect". When you first start up the system it tries to determine which switches are physically present and only bothers to check them after than. To do this each switch must be either ON or OFF but connected to the switch Detect Pin when OFF. In this way the system can determine which positions have a real switch available. If the switch is ON, 12V returns to the Boom input. If the switch is OFF, 12V still returns to the Boom input since the switch detect has provided 12V for that short period of time. If 0 V is returned then there is no switch present.

After that the system only watches the locations for switches that it feels are actually present. Why they do this, I'm not sure. This means that the new switch could be a Single Pole Double Throw type with the center terminal going to Pin 4 (E2), One outer terminal to Pin 1 (12V power) and the other outer terminal toPin 3 (Switch Detect). With this arrangement the switch presence will report that there is a switch in E2 and will check it. Diodes can also be used with a common SPST switch.

So what happens if you just use a common switch between power (pin 1) and E2 (Pin 4)? Not what you want unfortunately. Since when the system does the switch presence routine at startup, it may decide that no switch is present and will not check it for a while so the spray won't come on. Every 15 seconds or so it runs the switch presence routine again and then might find the switch because it happens to be ON. What this means is that if you don't play their game there might be as much as a 15 second delay before the sprayer turns ON. Believe me it works this way.

When I had a 4720 sprayer with an Ag Leder in it, I made a remote system so I could check the booms for patterns leaks etc. I used E2, E3 and E4 with the remote setup. I made a special configuration to watch those locations and called it "Test Purposes Only".

Edited by tedbear 4/21/2017 07:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)