AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raven 440 and NH3 gremlins
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/16/2017 11:01 (#5965584 - in reply to #5965466)
Subject: RE: Raven 440 and NH3 gremlins

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Ok, Vol/min is stable that is good. I would also check the Area/hr. This is related to ground speed and the boom sections that the Raven believes to be ON.

This value should be stable also, I would check this if the problem reoccurs.

I'm assuming a Raven 440 or the like. With the Master ON, a section switch should send 12V out to the ON/OFF valve and also to the internal circuitry so that the Raven performs its computations with the correct width. This is called boom sense. If another unused boom switch happens to be ON but not connected to a valve, the 440 will use that boom width also in its computations. Possibly the boom width for an unused boom is getting involved at times.

Although not strictly necessary I used to advise putting zeroes in for the unused boom width sections. That way if one of the unused section switches happens to get turned ON, it won't affect the computations.

This boom sense involves some diodes on the circuit board. These diodes can get damaged. When they are damaged they conduct electricity in both directions rather than blocking it in one direction like they should.

Here's a test you can do without moving. Shut off any NH3 with the tank valve or disconnect at the hitch. Then enter in a boom width of 100 for Boom 1, 200 for Boom 2, and so on for all the remaining boom sections. Put in a self test speed of 10 MPH. Check the speed, it should show 10.0 or 10.1 MPH. Then press the Area/hr key. With the Master ON, and all section switches Off, observe the Area/hr. It should show zero. Then turn on Boom 1 only. The Area/hr should show around 10.1 Acres/hr. Turn off Boom 1 the Area/hr should go back to zero and try Boom 2. It should show 20.2 Acres/hr. This pattern should continue through all the boom choices.

If the diodes have become "fried" they can be replaced as I have done many of them. I'm still not sure what causes them to go bad.

Edited by tedbear 4/16/2017 11:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)