AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Integra going backwards
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

KMech
Posted 4/16/2017 09:04 (#5965403 - in reply to #5964682)
Subject: RE: Integra going backwards

Missouri
deereman23 - 4/15/2017 19:09
Looks like I can disable heading direction and be like it was before update.

Yes, that will do it.

This was a major headache last spring. I understand what Ag Leader was trying to do. Before, when you back up, the icon gets flipped backwards from actual (shows your application point opposite of actual). Say you are backing your planter into a corner. You set it down (still backwards on the monitor), implement switch trips, and logging goes active. When you move forward, it whips the implement from in front of you, to behind you, painting coverage as it goes. Then autoswath shuts off the planter on the corner you just backed into. It is a problem worth solving.

The current solution is what sounds like a "reverse beeper" sound coming from the monitor while this is occurring. No visible alert or alarm, just a constant beep coming from the monitor, *IF* you haven't turned the volume down because of the excessive noise and beeping this thing does anyway.

Now you have heading detection, which is great when it works. When it doesn't, it is a solution even worse than the original problem. If you're planting, and you don't notice that your heading detection locked on backwards, the damned thing thinks your tractor is backing the planter through the field. This results in skips of length equal to twice the total GPS offsets of the system. You have a real disaster on your hands when the guy you just sold the system to plants 40 acres before calling you to ask "Is this right? It doesn't look right."

I'm sorry for the rant, but it's been over a year, I have customers that got burned hard on this, and I'm still hot on the issue. I don't know why this way was chosen to solve it. Most configurations have an implement switch. Why not use that as an indication of travel? If your implement switch says your implement is down, then the direction of travel MUST be forward. Set the heading detection to only lock on to "forward" while the implement is "UP", or logging is otherwise inactive. Because, let's face it, if you travel backwards with your planter down, the monitor is the least of your troubles. I hope the right person sees this, and considers it inspiration.

Another more useful solution would be instead of (or in addition to) the reverse beeper, temporarily disable autoswath during "reverse" travel. The map woulds still be jacked up, but at least you wouldn't have a great mess of skips if an operator doesn't catch this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)