AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

App rate module pinout for flow meter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/12/2017 09:03 (#5959027 - in reply to #5957771)
Subject: RE: App rate module pinout for flow meter

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Ag Leader has a cable available for this purpose. It is Part Number 4000310. This cable plugs into a port on the App Rate Module and has a 3 pole WeatherPak shroud for connection to a flow meter, a 3 pole Tower for connection to an implement switch and a four pole AMP connector to connect to a radar gun.

If you want to build your own cable for a flow meter only, three pins are involved. Pin 1 is 5V out to power a flow meter such as a Raven. Pin 5 is the signal coming from the flow meter and Pin 8 is the Ground for the flow meter. I personally use this arrangement with a Raven flow meter to MONITOR starter fertilizer on my corn planter. Notice I say Monitor not control the fertilizer, the Application Rate module does not have the ability to control the rate of fertilizer. In my case, the fertilizer is being delivered by a ground driven pump. The flow meter is used so the Ag Leader can monitor this rate for me.

A person can build their own flow meter cable such as I did but this requires the knowledge of the pin out of the flow meter as well as access to the proper connectors, tools etc. For most operations, it probably best to get the cable 4000310 above and an adapter cable to go to the flow meter.

I can use the displayed rate to change the stroke of the ground driven pump to change the applied rate rather than guess the current rate and adjust by trial and error. It can also point out errors in application due to other problems.

The Application Rate module can work with flow meters other than Raven but I would recommend using Raven. Some other simple flow meters that only use two wires can be used with some trickery. These flow meter usually require the use of the third wire and a pull-up resistor to cause the signal line to return to logic HIGH after the flow meter has shorted the signal line to ground. If you don't understand the above statement, it is just best to stick with a Raven flow meter.

For those not familiar with the Application Rate Module here's more information than you probably want: The Application Rate module is a general purpose module that plugs into the CAN bus used with current Ag Leader displays. Starting with the Insight, Ag Leader has used a CAN based system for yield and other farming scenarios. It can be used in a variety of ways for a variety of purposes.

One common use is to connect an implement switch to the three pin Implement switch connection. This can be used to start/stop coverage logging. A very common use is on a simple planter where it is desirable to have the coverage map start/stop based on whether the planter is UP or DOWN.

Another common use is to use a flow meter or shaft sensor to display the applied rate of a product. Notice I saw display the applied rate, it cannot control the rate. Other modules are available for that. A calibration number is entered which allows the system to accept the input from a flow meter or shaft sensor. This information along with implement width and ground speed allows the display to show the current applied rate. This is for the entire implement width and has no inputs for sections. Activity on the flow meter or shaft sensor will start/stop the mapping on the Ag Leader display. It is not necessary to use an implement switch with the flow meter although it is possible.

A third use for the Application Rate module is to use its other port along with a special cable to a 9 pin connector for communication with another device. This other device could be a Raven 440 or the like as long as the Raven is new enough to have the capability. It can also communicate with other third party control systems such as a Deere 2600 or the like. This communication is two way allowing the Ag Leader display to send rate information to the other device and receive application information from the other box. This can be very useful but does NOT allow for section control.

Edited by tedbear 4/13/2017 04:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)