AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Marking Rocks with iPad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/13/2017 07:43 (#5960495 - in reply to #5955785)
Subject: RE: what type of GPS is accurate enough?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have noticed that the GPS location when used with the Maps application seems to be quite accurate and useful for driving. I suspect that the software makes certain assumptions such as you are likely driving on a road. I'm thinking that if its internal GPS shows you driving off of the beaten path that it might fudge you over to be on the road.

This doesn't work so great for marking rocks or other problems. In many cases, it would certainly be better than nothing or relying on one's memory but not as accurate as to what we've become accustomed. I guess marking the rocks with the Ag Leader display with its corrected GPS would be much more accurate but I thought the iPad would be closer than it seems to be. When I marked my first rock, it showed up across the road in a neighbor's field.

There may be a way to get corrected GPS off of the system in the planting tractor and feeding it into the iPad but I doubt if I will pursue that. I would still have the inaccuracy problem when I removed the iPad to use it for locating the rock. My iPad was using cellular data at the time, I think.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)