AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Marking Rocks with iPad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 4/10/2017 14:48 (#5955785 - in reply to #5955076)
Subject: RE: what type of GPS is accurate enough?

southern MN
I'll piggy back on your thread, as I'm guessing it's the crux of the matter.

The regular iPad has sorta close kinda positioning.

The iPads with cell data have GPS positioning, but it is the 10 meter sorta close type? I think?

I too had/have a handheld GPS Garman that seems very accurate, I had it trace a route we drove 40 miles, 20 one direction and 20 back on the same road, the route was 2 parallel lines that did not wobble seemed very good. Is this WAAS type GPS? Is this what we should be looking for for 'pretty good' tablet GPS locations? I believe this type can drift over time, as the satalites wobble we would keep my very accurate spacing on the road but it migh show the path I created displaced over in a field 20 feet someday? I forget what WAAS stands for, or what it uses to be better....

Thrn the RTK stuff takes some money for a subscription and some money for a fancy receiver to get both GPS and a fixed earth point to always be very accurate? This is beyond what one would do for an occasional use like locating rocks now and then?

Are these the basic steps of progressive GPS accuracy, or have I left something out?

So, there are several GPS units out there that run on Bluetooth or stick into the speaker port on an iPad that would offer better (WAAS?) GPS and be much better at stuff like pinpointing rocks or tile or the like? Anyone have any experience on what gadgets to buy that work well with a tablet?

Sorry for writing a book, I suppose I turned off anyone reading all this that could help.....

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)