AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Marking Rocks with iPad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/10/2017 08:02 (#5955076)
Subject: Marking Rocks with iPad

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Saturday, I was able to get out and knock down some tile lines from a project that got finished late last Fall. There were a few large rocks that required the use of a loader. I went out with my Ranger to pick up the smaller ones and other assorted debris. I thought that I would take my iPad with me and use my newly acquired AgFiniti mobile app to mark the larger rocks.

As I drove to the field I saw another field that showed activity in it which was actually the Fall tillage pass from last year. When I go to the field in queston I was able to bring up the field name of that field. When I tried to mark the first rock I got a message saying something to the effect that there was no activity in that field so I was not able to make a note of a problem at that spot. My plan was to make a mark at the rock location and actually take a picture of it.

Since AgFiniti was not going to work I tried other apps. I used the map app and dropped a pin. This showed the point to be on the other side of the road in a different field. I then tried using the camera app to take a picture of the rock and then save its location. Although this worked the location was not very precise and I was not able to navigate back to the rocks. I realize the GPS in the iPad is not nearly as accurate as what I'm accustomed to with my tractor units with correction but I thought it should be accurate enough to find a good sized rock.

Many years ago I had a handheld Garmin and used its waypoint feature to mark rocks which worked fairly well. I did try a marking app on a different iPad that I thought would work OK but didn't really use it since it was on a borrowed iPad. I searched for this app again but can't seem to find it. It even contained offsets that could be used to mark the rock more accurately when doing a pass with a wide implement. I believe the app came from Europe. Obviously that all depends on the accuracy of the iPad's GPS.

Edited by tedbear 4/10/2017 08:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)