AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Elevation Maps
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

esystems
Posted 9/12/2006 11:16 (#43221)
Subject: Elevation Maps

NW Ohio

I know several of the regulars here have experience with creating elevation maps from yield or marking maps, and then using them to help with creating a tile system for a field. It is pretty easy to do with today's mapping programs to create these maps.

My question is for accuracy, is RTK giving a more represenative and accurate map than say Starfire 2 or Omnistar XP/HP?

With elevation inaccruacies 3X greater than lat/lon figures, does this figure mantain itself across the field? Meaning if we are measuring an elevation that is 12" off of the exact elevation at this point, does that hold true across the field? Or do we then get readings of 8", 4", 15", etc. etc. which would lend this data not as useful.

Is using several times across a field and normalizing them better than using one map? Does normalizing just average too much for an accurate tile map? 

Other posts below have talked about Outback's Baseline. I know that is pretty new and getting additional upgrades on software to make it better(I guess this is the way of everyone). Any elevation experience here?

I am using Starfire 2, drilling wheat this fall to tile next summer. I could have access to an RTK demo unit from the dealer to use on a couple fields. Trying to evaluate using RTK here or more on our strip till? 

Thanks

Chris

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)