AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drone liability insurance...on-demand...Verifly
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 3/19/2017 18:14 (#5909977)
Subject: Drone liability insurance...on-demand...Verifly

Chebanse, IL.....

Has anyone utilized the new "Verifly" on-demand drone liability insurance yet? Seems like a good product to me. I have absolutely nothing to do with their business however, but I'm going to link it here. It seems usable for both private or commercial type flying.

Drone liability coverage can be a little questionable. Some NAT-ers have said their home/farm insurance covers their liability on their SUAV (aka drone). However, some companies only cover while the drone is on the insured's premises.. or basically any of the ground you farm. Fly over to your neighbors & you have no liability, whether invited or not. Some suggested that State Farm was issuing drone liability. Keep in mind that most insurance companies are state-by-state. SF offered no stand-alone drone liability in IL when I checked. They also were not interested in selling hull coverage on drones either. I called local agents. That was an experience in itself. You would've thought I was asking about insuring a lunar lander or something.

Anyway, this Verifly outfit is now legal to operate in 49 states...INCLUDING Illinois, which was just named a week or so ago. You can read their link about how it works, but it operates only off a telephone app. You start an account entering your name etc. Then, it will bring up a map, or a google earth view, of where you are, or where you're going to fly, assuming it's not where you are presently. You have choices of length of coverage in 1/2 hr, 1 hr, 4 hrs, or about 8 hrs. You can also choose the basic $1 mill liability, or the 2.5 mill. liability. The amount they are going to charge your credit card is shown instantly, which you can accept, or close it & forget the whole thing. You'll know what you're getting before you pay for it.

Again, if you consider that you may only operate off your own farm maybe a few times per year and you might want some liability coverage where you're going, it seems a good program since you don't have to pay for 12 months usage & then worry about renewing. There is no renewal on this one since you're buying it by the hour.

The rates seem livable. For instance, on our farm, which is 1.5 mis from a small town, the 1 mill, 1 hr rate is $10 for flying within 1/4 mis for $1 mill coverage. If you want to fly out to 1/2 mis for 1 hr, then it's $16. Jump to $2.5 mill & that 1/2 mis rate turns to $24. You see all the choices & prices. Choose your own program.

Now, if I move my flight area up to the Greater Kankakee Airport, which is a medium size, Uncontrolled (no control tower!) civilian airport, then that 1/2 mis, 1 hr, $1 mill coverage costs $39. Ironically, $2.5 mill is not available when flying around the airport. The app also reminds you that when flying close to an airport like that, you may need some authorization.

It costs nothing to put the app on your phone. It only costs after you've entered all your cc info (only need to do that once) & hit the "GET INSURED" button.

I have no experience with utilizing their liability insurance. I just know it's a legit outfit & that many farm liability policies are going to exclude the drone OFF premises. Again, this is only liability, not hull insurance.

Here's link to the Verifly site for more info.

https://verifly.com/

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)