AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Plant - Free Satellite Imagery - Everywhere Once per Day
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

mwester
Posted 3/13/2017 10:00 (#5896268 - in reply to #5892193)
Subject: RE: Plant - Free Satellite Imagery - Everywhere Once per Day

South Central Kansas
Satellite imagery certainly is getting better! I think satellite and aircraft bases imagery both have their strong points and can be used in conjunction with one another. Cloud cover is always going to plague satellite imagery, that's just the nature of the beast. It will become less of a problem as frequency of collections increases. For general monitoring I think where satellite imagery is today is satisfactory. If you can afford 3-5 meter GSD satellite imagery every week. If your wanting to utilizes the numerical data I think it's far from perfect. 3-5m resolution is going to give you a single reflectance data point for about every 380-625 corn plants @30k ppa. Utilizing an aircraft sensor on a UAS, one can achieve two data points per plant @30k ppa.

That being said, modern farm equipment even equipped with the most up to date equipment can not react fast enough to Vr on that level, but that can easily be adjusted. Where I'm getting at is for scouting and management purposes, it's hard to beat UAS or other aircraft based imagery. I think that by utilizing satellite and aircraft based, we can gain a large amount of valuable information at a more manageable price point.

I wonder what this "planet" imagery costs? I tried looking for the cost of 4band multispectral imagery on their website but could not locate it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)