AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm scared to put in a crop this year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

picassomcp
Posted 2/22/2017 13:47 (#5856234)
Subject: I'm scared to put in a crop this year

As I have been thinking about this coming crop year, I get more and more scared to even put it in. We are coming off of 2 exceptional crop growing years here in Central MN. Soybeans have been 50+ bushels and corn 200+ without much effort the last 2 years due to the absolutely perfect growing weather that we have had. Now prices have been low these last 2 years, but with the great yields, it went pretty well unnoticed as we didn't feel pinched by the low prices. Now, prices are still down and its very unlikely that we will have 3 years in a row of perfect weather. On top of this, we have had record breaking warm temps here all this past week and it feels like Spring already. Just like it did in years past that ended up being drought years.

I am thinking this could be a bad year for cashflow if we get a drought that this early warm weather has brought in the past along with low prices on top of that.

I went to an agronomy meeting yesterday, the speakers there even hinted a bit at this, which made my way of thinking even worse.

It sucks to have my passion for farming taken away like this, but I just want to be truthful to myself so I can make good decisions for this year.

Does anyone else feel like this could be the year that we get hit hard with a poor crop and poor prices? If so, what changes are you making to prepare for it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)