AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

poly wire reels?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Red Whiskers
Posted 1/4/2017 15:06 (#5744035)
Subject: poly wire reels?

Cleburne TX
I need education on poly wire reels.
First do you walk and reel or unhook the end and stand and reel?
Understand the geared reel would be faster.
Thinking extra bobbins would be handy for different fences.
Been told bobbins are hard to swap on geared reels.

????? what works for you.
TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supa Dexta
Posted 1/4/2017 15:17 (#5744060 - in reply to #5744035)
Subject: RE: poly wire reels?

NS Canada
A lot of time I'll use the wheeler, I put posts in first, tie end, then then string it up on the way back. Hardly have to get off the machine.

On the take down I ride along and drop wire, pull posts as I go, till I get to the end, unhook it and then go back to the reel and start reeling it in. If its too long of a run I'll walk towards it as I reel, until it will feed towards me.

I use a bunch of these reels

http://www.keystonefencesupplies.com/images/detailed/0/G611504---Ga...

I have 1 extra wide one, I hate it - maxi reel I think they call them.

Edited by Supa Dexta 1/4/2017 15:17
redman66
Posted 1/4/2017 15:29 (#5744085 - in reply to #5744035)

These work nice because u can hook them to a t post anyway u need. Nice part about the wire is it's bout 1/4 inch diam. Deer seem to see it better. It's nice cause how portable and flexible it is. Downside is if u only need short runs and don't wanna cut it then u have a big roll sitting there

(IMG_0095.JPG)

(IMG_0096.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0095.JPG (98KB - 122 downloads)
Attachments (0KB - 115 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0096.JPG (132KB - 121 downloads)
Jim
Posted 1/4/2017 15:39 (#5744110 - in reply to #5744085)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I usually try to stick to positive posts. However I have one of those reels and it has the worst latching lever mechanism (on the other side from the photo) that I have ever seen.  The knob handle also comes off.  I was told my problem was that I was using it for wire when it was designed for poly only...  The only positive thing about that reel is the bracket you can hang it on imho.

Premier has a lot of great products but that reel is not one of them.

I use a lot of these Gallagher reels. They are simple and just work.

The idea of changing spools may sound interesting in the winter looking at a computer. However in reality I find you fill a spool up and use it. If you need more buy more complete reels.  you are likely using these every day or multiple times a day. Keep it simple and light and sturdy. I also strongly prefer aluminum wire to poly but we've covered that topic before.

edit to add: If I need to attach an econoreel to a tee post I make a small loop of #9 brace wire for the reel's hook around the tee post in a way it doesn't slip down, twist it off and leave the loop there to use in the future.  Or hook the reel onto some barb wire near a post, or put a large screw eye into wood posts for repeated use.

Edited by Jim 1/4/2017 19:04

(econoreel.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments econoreel.jpg (33KB - 115 downloads)
Ben
Posted 1/4/2017 15:53 (#5744143 - in reply to #5744035)

North Mo.
if you want exercise walk and reel. If a lazy bum ride the atv pulling reel along at the end roll up poly is already half again as long. The problem with that is the poly can catch on a weed ,sprout, clump what ever and might cause a bit of a problem rolling up wire. The only reel I think I have not tried is the speedrite feel the best reel out there is the tara 3 / 1 reel Zeitlow sells them. Bobbins are a pain to change would not do it unless replacing bobbins, also even though the bobbins look the same on most brands they are not the same shaft size so if a Obrien reel use their bobbins a tara use theirs and so on.
mafrif
Posted 1/4/2017 15:57 (#5744159 - in reply to #5744035)

NC Iowa

I stand and reel, or move the end of one side of the poly, and then hook a pigtail post to pull the poly fence out of the existing line and into it's new spot without reeling at all.
3:1 makes it really fast, especially when it's getting full.  I have a kencove one and the brand name one from kencove, about the exact same thing.  I've thought about more reels but they aren't much less then the whole thing. 

Direct Injected
Posted 1/4/2017 16:26 (#5744219 - in reply to #5744159)

SW, Missouri
I roll mine out and put up posts at the same time. I cut and hung old inner tube on my front fender and use that as a brake for my reel while unrolling, it keeps it from backslashing like a fishing reel. When I take it down I pull all posts up and undue end and go back to reel. I can reel up a 1/4 mi standing in one spot and then feel like Popeye when I'm done.

I hate to say it but Gallagher is probably my favorite reel currently.

Edited by Direct Injected 1/4/2017 16:27
Posted 1/4/2017 16:28 (#5744223 - in reply to #5744035)

west central Iowa
I like the Premier reels with the strap that goes behind the neck to carry like the ones somebody else pictured. Your arm can get awful tired of holding the reel on a long stretch. I weld two small hooks to the frame so I can hang them on another fence wire. I stand in one place and reel in when I can, but sometimes you can't because of things like cornstalks.
Posted 1/4/2017 16:34 (#5744235 - in reply to #5744035)

Oklahoma
I don't have much experience at it, but I have been happy with the Gallagher Econo reels that Jim posted. I walk and reel because I pull up posts as I go. The 1:1 ratio is fine for that.
still learn'n
Posted 1/4/2017 18:31 (#5744465 - in reply to #5744219)

SC. KS
Direct Injected - 1/4/2017 16:26

I cut and hung old inner tube on my front fender and use that as a brake for my reel while unrolling, it keeps it from backslashing like a fishing reel.

Do you have any pictures of this? I have thought of hooking reel on ATV to unreel but didn't know how to keep it from backlashing and coming loose.

We use the zietlow reels and for the most part like them other then the wire guide gets notched worn in the plastic and the kinda hard to wind then evenly

Edited by still learn'n 1/4/2017 18:33
Direct Injected
Posted 1/4/2017 18:42 (#5744499 - in reply to #5744465)

SW, Missouri
still learn'n - 1/4/2017 18:31

Direct Injected - 1/4/2017 16:26

I cut and hung old inner tube on my front fender and use that as a brake for my reel while unrolling, it keeps it from backslashing like a fishing reel.

Do you have any pictures of this? I have thought of hooking reel on ATV to unreel but didn't know how to keep it from backlashing and coming loose.

We use the zietlow reels and for the most part like them other then the wire guide gets notched worn in the plastic and the kinda hard to wind then evenly
I can't find one so I'll try to get you a couple tomorrow. I actually got the idea from Ben.
still learn'n
Posted 1/4/2017 18:43 (#5744503 - in reply to #5744499)

SC. KS
Where does the tube go? Around the handle or against the reel?
Direct Injected
Posted 1/4/2017 18:46 (#5744510 - in reply to #5744503)

SW, Missouri
still learn'n - 1/4/2017 18:43

Where does the tube go? Around the handle or against the reel?
against the reel, it just sits on it and turns, keeps a little tension all the time.
Red Paint
Posted 1/4/2017 18:51 (#5744527 - in reply to #5744035)

SW “Ohia”
Red Whiskers,

Tagging this thread.
Wheat77
Posted 1/4/2017 18:51 (#5744528 - in reply to #5744235)

Sorry to hijack, but what kind of poly wire would you recommend, for just a 2 wire deer fence for
sweet corn, I find different kinds, something easy to put out, roll up and reuse each year.

I am tired of fighting with my tangled wire.

Edited by Wheat77 1/4/2017 18:53
Ben
Posted 1/4/2017 19:20 (#5744639 - in reply to #5744465)

North Mo.
yea I complained about the wire guides think they had some a bit soft. On the flap I used belting fix it to your rack hanging down on the fender hang reel off rack also doesn't work to bad
Posted 1/4/2017 20:07 (#5744796 - in reply to #5744528)

Oklahoma
Powerflex polybraid is good stuff.

http://www.powerflexfence.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=PBS4

heinz57
Posted 1/5/2017 06:08 (#5745424 - in reply to #5744527)

NW Wisconsin
The white 6 or 9 strand wire works best for me . The deer can see it better than yellow or orange or even wire, from my experience, all bets are off come November though, when the deer start the rut. Haven't used any other reels except Gallagher 3:1 and have no complaints.
NoTill1825
Posted 1/5/2017 07:02 (#5745506 - in reply to #5744035)

NC Indiana
I have Gallagher Maxi and regular gear reels and an Obrien regular geared reel. I like the Gallagher Maxi reels best, but only run them 1/2-2/3 full due to helpers not being able to figure out how to use a reel and not wad the whole thing up-a whole other story. I try to walk the line and unhook the wire or ride the atv and unhook and pick up post (depend on how much time I have). Then I reel and walk it back to the end or walk it part way and back to the atv. I also have Obrien Maxi bobbins that I use to roll up and unroll longer term temporary fence - ie corn stalks grazing. We rigged this up to be powered with a cordless drill or impact for rolling up.
sdnotill1983
Posted 1/5/2017 07:43 (#5745579 - in reply to #5745506)

SE SD
I use Obrien reels or powerflex reels with powerflex wire. I usually unhook the one end pull the posts and then stand and reel all the wire up. Its to much to hold posts and reel wire up at the same time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)