AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rate per hour for D5 dozer with newer operator?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

cam360
Posted 1/3/2017 06:36 (#5740382)
Subject: rate per hour for D5 dozer with newer operator?

I purchased a 1974 D5 dozer with 10 foot blade that I have been using around the farm for about a year clearing trees, building crossings, fixing pond dams, etc. I would like to pick up a little side work to help pay for it. Not a ton, just some smaller jobs. I know I am not a seasoned operator so what would be a fair rate per hour to charge?

TIA

Cam
SW Iowa
Top of the page Bottom of the page
garvo
Posted 1/3/2017 06:44 (#5740393 - in reply to #5740382)
Subject: RE: rate per hour for D5 dozer with newer operator?

western iowa,by Denison
$80 hour
Lauritsenag
Posted 1/3/2017 08:16 (#5740574 - in reply to #5740393)

Have a D3 and and 5M.I charge $125 per hr for the 3 and $150 for the 5. Just realize newer dozers have more power and are much quicker. Most people can't believe how much dirt you can move in an hour with a smaller machine. If you have to haul or drive your machine to the job, you need to charge accordingly. I have a $350 min as I farm and only do this part time. Depending on the condition of your machine it will probably cost you $40 per machine hr just to own it. Plus I charge by the machine hr, not the clock which also makes a difference. As a new operator always keep the blade full and do not let your tracks slip, if they are you are not a maximum efficiency. Good luck!
Rock Road
Posted 1/3/2017 09:21 (#5740749 - in reply to #5740382)

w/c Illinois
Make sure you have good liability coverage and call in a locator service on every job, no matter what the landowner tells you. No exceptions; it's already paid for.
ILCORNGROWER
Posted 1/3/2017 10:00 (#5740830 - in reply to #5740749)

Northern Illinois
Rock Road has the best advice yet. Many guys don't understand the importance of liability insurance and making a One Call when you are in the dirt business. Also you can do it however you want of charging a minimum or whatever if you are building your cost of moving machine into your hourly rate. Most contractors charge mobilization which would mean you charge to move equipment in and out but if you are only there an hour you would not get burned on your mobilization cost. Don't kid yourself it costs you something to move your equipment. You need to figure out how to estimate jobs and give people figures on what you think the total project will cost not the hourly rate. If I charge $140/hour for my JD 750 and you charge $80 for your D5 it might sound good. If I do the job in half the time I am cheaper though. With some learning you will figure out what it will take you in hours to complete projects; thats all part of learning.
Catoperator
Posted 1/3/2017 11:43 (#5741071 - in reply to #5740382)
Subject: nt

N W Ohio
twraska
Posted 1/3/2017 13:37 (#5741273 - in reply to #5740574)

Wallis, TX

El Campo area????   I  just might move my dozer your way! LOL  I can't consistently get $150 an hour for a D6R LGP Series II.  Right now it's sitting with rust on the blade from lack of work.

Edited by twraska 1/3/2017 14:00
DB Tracks
Posted 1/3/2017 18:13 (#5741824 - in reply to #5740830)

Camp Douglas Wi. 40miles nw of wi. dells
Ilcorngrower- you said a mouth full about the size of dozer and rates. 4 years ago our regular contractor with 80,000 lb backhoe @ $175 per hr experienced was to busy, so we hired a contractor with 50,000 lb backhoe @ $100 per hr inexperienced to dig a deep ditch 1/2 mile long. That was a costly education for me.

Dan
Lauritsenag
Posted 1/3/2017 19:29 (#5742069 - in reply to #5741273)

twraska, I'm from west central IA. I understand what your saying. My wife owns a farm in southern ILL. Working in the oilfields down there you can hire a cable D7 for $80 per hr. they think your crazy when you price a D5 hightrack for $150. But typically if you charge by machine hour its longer than a true hr, plus with fingertip controls, more horsepower in a smaller more maneuverable machine you can make a guy on a cable dozer look like a turtle in slow motion! LOL
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)