AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cover crop?Alfalfa-no till -gasp a plow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 11/8/2016 06:58 (#5624687)
Subject: cover crop?Alfalfa-no till -gasp a plow

western iowa,by Denison
So a really dumb question as I read a lot from 3am till now-to you no till guys with cover crops -Why is alfalfa never mentioned? I farm around 800 acres and always try to have 10-20% of my ground in alfalfa-10% in a small grains etc-when you are planting just cover crops and killing them off in the spring when do you ever get a benefit from crop rotation out of soybeans and corn-reading lawfarms post below it seemed like the no till guys were going to execute him=I thought it was a great question-here I have noticed tillage has always helped my corn crop- I have tried no till several years and several times-I have been on a lot of no till fields with are custom chopping-a lot of them have huge ruts, ditches and are rough -I sometimes wonder why alfalfa is not part of the program? If I have a 4 year stand of hay and plow it and it doesn't erode-am I farther ahead then the no till guy that has ditchs and rough fields? Do you as no tillers ever give credit to guys that do tillage and have smooth fields with rotation's-?

On a different note-If I was president I would make my own breakfast!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)