AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best cover crop for a silage rotation with manure and grazing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BlackCattle
Posted 7/20/2016 23:39 (#5422751)
Subject: Best cover crop for a silage rotation with manure and grazing

SC Iowa
Looking for some ideas for a cover crop mix. It was corn last year, chopped, manure, fall seeded to rye, intense grazing in the spring.
I terminated the rye may 1 about 4 inches tall. Planted no till corn 8 days later.

I am really happy with the corn, can barely tell difference from corn across road planted april 17, at 40mph.... but the weather has been awesome. I even micromanaged with the radar and got the yearlings off before any rains, so compaction was limited, again weather good to allow for some serious grazing..

So I am looking to improve the cover mix, maybe add a legume, or something else.... what would you add and why?? Probably be chopping within 30 days and get manure on and use my kinze to plant the new mix... Would like to go corn again as is good running closest to bunker for feed... but not opposed to a rotation to benefit things..

I won't likely graze it this fall, but if I get in in 3 weeks and heat and water stay on maybe be some late hay to make???

What cover would break down the manure the best? What is best legume, bang for buck??

Edit. Spelleeng

Edited by BlackCattle 7/20/2016 23:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)