AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

outback
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

KDD
Posted 9/2/2006 12:03 (#40704 - in reply to #40576)
Subject: Re: outback

Leesburg, Ohio
Roadrunner: You pose valid questions. I'll attempt some answers from one perspective.

"What's the value...if you are have to do alot of nudging?"
Value can come from multiple factors...one is increased efficiency in less overlaps or skips. (Mainly applies to broadacre ops like tillage, spraying, drilling.) Another one is more "productivity" from ease of operation, being less tired, able to run longer hours, and easier operations after dark. This is a big factor in my opinion (maybe the biggest factor) after having run these outfits for a season or two. Even with having to do a fair bit of nudging in the corn planter tractor this year, I was able to plant much longer hours by running later in the evening, not worrying about seeing the mark all the time, and still feeling like getting an early start the next morning. Even seeing the mark in the daytime is sometimes an issue in dry, dusty conditions, or heavy cover. That said, I'm not ready to give up my markers on the corn planter with our present setup. On the drills...maybe.

Would the 5100 have reduced the amount of nudging neccesary? I think it definately would have, in most areas, but it probably would not in the areas where we have trees along the ends. Often, in those areas, we have to steer manually anyway while setting our AB line. I'm just not ready to spend the additional $ yet for the high end equipment. A more accurate receiver on the EZsteer, or the new Baseline unit from Outback look like good compromises to me.
JMHO
Ken
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)