AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

outback
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 8/28/2006 00:24 (#39321 - in reply to #38916)
Subject: RE: outback

Pittsburg, Kansas

At the risk of getting flamed or in hot water I will try to address the software issues. Yes, there have been some issues with the software but it has been a strange situation. We have customers that we have never heard back from with no problems and we have had a couple including our own units that have given us fits on and off. That is the S2. the S's have been rock solid.

What sometimes appeared to be software problems was complicated by Outback changing antennas and coaxial cables, and having some bad ones and faiures of those items. A lot of the problems went away when we started using an S antenna on the S2's and replacing some of the cables cured other problems. Add in the fact that WAAS was doing funny things moving birds around in the sky earlier this year and it made for some interesting times in the GPS sales business. Like I said, some customers never had any problems but at times with some units the S had better accuracy than the S2. Frustrating but it will get resolved.

I have no doubt any remainging problems will be resolved but it sure can be agrivating to a customer that buys something that is supposed to work a certain way and it sometimes doesn't (while most of the time working perfectly). We have had almost no problems with the S. We have had some with the S2 this summer, complicated by the extinuating circumstances.

All of the GPS companies have been guilty of rushing at least some of their products to market in order to stay up with or jump ahead of the competition to keep market share without enough field testing in my opinion. Just looking through the archives of this board validates it. That makes it frustrating for the early buyers and the dealers. The problems get resolved but we shouldn't be expected to be Beta testers.

john

Edited by John Burns 8/28/2006 00:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)