AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agleader SMS Software
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

KevinFButt
Posted 8/24/2006 22:39 (#38522 - in reply to #38404)
Subject: Re: Agleader SMS Software

North Central Iowa
I had a one day training on the SMS and recently spent one week training on ArcView. I have not had any expereince with Apex and very limited experience with SST. IMHO the SMS is very powerful once you go through a few of the basics. I know they keep working on and making it better. I taught a precision ag course at college this past spring and I had the students work on ArcView and SMS. I gave them a project at the end of the semester and let them decide which software to use for thier projects. I had 15 out of the 18 students use SMS.

Key thing to keep in mind...ArcView is VERY powerful and has numerous applications but SMS, Apex and SST are designed specifically for agriculture and make it easier for ag professionals to use.

Prices are another issue. SMS is a LOT chepaer than SST ($1500 vs. $5000 the last time I checked). Plus, SST requires you to have ArcView installed as they use ArcView's platform to run...SMS does not require ArcView. I have not had a chance to work with Apex but am looking at getting it installed at the college this year. I know there have been quite a few complaints on the initial Apex release(s) and am waiting for JD to get the kinks out first before I turn college kids loose on it.

Just my 2 cents worth, but I have been happy with SMS and know that AgLeader will keep improving on it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)