AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cereal Rye Hangover
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEMOScott
Posted 5/2/2016 19:56 (#5278524)
Subject: Cereal Rye Hangover

Callao, Missouri
Corn planted on 4/15-4/18 into green cereal rye with last years rye straw cover is going to have to be replanted.

We probably haven't received more than 2" of rain total (never more than 6/10 at a time), but we've been very cold and cloudy.

It was sprayed the same day. I didn't want it to live a day longer because it will use some of the nitrogen that I'm also putting down.

The frustrating thing is all my other corn is fine. Notill into bean stubble is up, notill into last years rye straw but no cover growing at planting is poking through. The neighbors conventional till corn planted on the same day looks perfect.

The only solution I see is to use something other than cereal rye before corn or kill it when it's too small to change the soil moisture profile.

I spent 4 hrs out there digging today and it was crazy how much wetter that ground was. I've got cottage cheese soil structure, gobs of earthworms, lots of cover....and rotten corn. The better the soil, the more likely to have no corn making it topside.

I'm not really sure how I should change this for next year.

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (245KB - 261 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (250KB - 258 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (235KB - 227 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (174KB - 221 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)