AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How often to worm hogs
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben1912
Posted 4/27/2016 12:29 (#5266549)
Subject: How often to worm hogs

Northwest Missouri
I have hogs on dirt and in bedded hoop buildings. How often should the market hogs be wormed? I have been putting it in the feed for them usually twice for each group. Is putting it in the feed as effective as ivomec? I worm sows twice a year before each breeding with injectable ivomec, is that often enough for them?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Abomb
Posted 4/27/2016 12:55 (#5266598 - in reply to #5266549)
Subject: RE: How often to worm hogs

I'm interested to hear the different responses to this. I use safe gaurd in the feed twice a year on sows give or take. Kinda depends if I start seeing worms show up in the manure or not. I use banmith in the feed on feeder pigs right after they get moved out of nursery and into the hoop barns. Don't hardly ever see worms in them. I was told the banmith controls a lot of worms that aren't a problem anymore. I guess it's just what we've always done and haven't had problems so that's why it's still being done.
Abomb
Posted 4/27/2016 12:58 (#5266606 - in reply to #5266598)

Not sure what to tell you, that's just what I do anyways
IL cow man
Posted 4/27/2016 14:36 (#5266763 - in reply to #5266549)

Buffalo IL
Safeguard in feed is an excellent wormer or was 20 years ago. Just need to know how much to mix up for the 3 days of feeding . Safe guard is a more effective wormer for getting all life stages of the worm and all worms It just will not get the worm ages in the environment such as soil. Ivermectin works good also and will control your lice and mange. I believe Atgard worked good on sows and gilts, also. I forget the spray to use for mange on sows was but I think it was prolate. Just easier to inject a group with ivermectrin for that. Worm and kill lice and mange prior to having pigs and ivomec piglets again at 40-50 lbs and on solid surfaces or dirt probably 100# and 200# with feed grade should be adequate. This is what I remember from over 20 years ago. The problem with worm ages is they live on for over fifteen years so you just have to retreat.

Edited by IL cow man 4/27/2016 14:39
back40farmer
Posted 4/27/2016 15:38 (#5266867 - in reply to #5266549)

Central Iowa
We are on dirt and open front bedded sheds as well. Feeder pigs are wormed once with ivomec at 5-8 weeks then safeguard in the feed at 170-200lbs. All sows and boars get ivomec middle-end of march and either ivomec again or safeguard middle to end of September. There used to be a alfalfa pellet with safeguard that was supper easy to feed to sows. We haven't used that for awhile now.
roo
Posted 4/27/2016 16:37 (#5266990 - in reply to #5266867)

Cullom, Illinois
I worm with Safegard at 50 pounds, then again at 100 pounds.
Hereford Guy
Posted 4/27/2016 17:34 (#5267090 - in reply to #5266990)

Been awhile but sows we would give them some stuff in the feed before farrowing, may have been SafeGuard, and I do remember pouring them with a sprinkler can with Prolate for lice and mange. Market hogs, I only remember giving them a shot of Ivomec after they left the nursery, so 40-50 pounds. Don't recall we did it again unless we thought we had a problem.

Edited by Hereford Guy 4/27/2016 23:17
jncia
Posted 4/27/2016 18:09 (#5267180 - in reply to #5266549)

north central iowa
In general a worming program starts with the sow. If you injected your whole farm twice with ivomec 14 days apart you would eliminate lice and mange on your farm. Then make sure to isolate new stock and treat before entering your herd. Now from here on you should just have to deworm for internal parasites. Best time to address sows is prior to farrowing so pigs are not exposed to parasites. So in theory your pigs should be clean until they are weaned or moved to a new environment. I would then deworm the pigs 2 weeks after they are moved(safeguard in the feed). After this I would have fecal samples run at your veterinarian and deworm accordingly. Feed grade safeguard or atgard will kill more larval stages then ivomec. But keep in mind ivomec is taking care of external parasites plus internals. The best approach would be to talk to your veterinarian that knows your farm, pig flow, facility environment and taylor a program for you!
ben5398
Posted 4/28/2016 12:25 (#5269154 - in reply to #5266549)

Central Illinois
You are doing what we plan on doing. Our vet suggested worming sows with safeguard 2 weeks before farrowing as this helps the little ones. Then I will give a shot of Ivomac at weaning. Have yet to need to worm growers beyond that but I am just getting started. Vet indicated they just don't live long enough for it to be too big of a problem in growers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)