AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tiling- Digi farm good enough or need own JD base
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

bell588
Posted 2/24/2016 07:28 (#5133399)
Subject: Tiling- Digi farm good enough or need own JD base

Looking to purchase a tile plow, dealer is wanting me to buy their digi farm setup to replace my Deere 450 radios on my RTk. My question is will this be accurate enough or would it be better to buy a JD base station to use in field? How much is a base station setup? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JHEnt
Posted 2/24/2016 09:23 (#5133656 - in reply to #5133399)
Subject: RE: Tiling- Digi farm good enough or need own JD base

Southern Illinois
Just in general you are usually better off with a base in the field for tiling. Will that system work, maybe. Depends on where the bases are installed. If they are to spread out your verticle control will not work. I dont know if the Geo++ caster will network JD data or not. According to some users of their software Ive spoken to their JD is single baseline only from JD or Navcom bases.

If you have 2 JD receivers with radios then you already have a base. Just set on in the tractor to Quick reference base. Shut the key off and remove that receiver. Mount it on a tripod or even a vehichle in the tiling location and power it up. There's your Deere base.
g170
Posted 2/24/2016 12:02 (#5134007 - in reply to #5133399)

We are in central OH running ODOT CORS network for tiling. We have a Trimble FMX giving RTK to AMW Controller. We have practically no problems with CORS but I realize that Ohio has one of the better CORS networks. I recommend you call John Wagner at AgRePlan 937 308 5392 He can tell you everything you want to know.
GTD
Posted 2/24/2016 15:21 (#5134365 - in reply to #5133399)

Effingham, IL

DigiFarm, Trimble VRS, Leica SpiderNet, and Topcon TopNetlive are all Virtual Base networks that build a "virtual" base station somewhere within close proximity to where the rover is operating. This virtual base is a modeled solution, or in other words, is an attempt to simulate through computer modeling what the correction would be if an actual base station were sited in that location. It's done by comparing, in simple terms, the GPS signal delay at actual base locations surrounding the rover location and then attempting to predict what that delay would be at the virtual base site. If there is sufficient data from surrounding base stations, and if atmospheric conditions are fairly stable, the modeled correction is very accurate. However, when the atmosphere is in a state of high flux, or if there isn't sufficient data from surrounding base stations, the modeling ability is greatly reduced and position errors occur, which results in line shifts and repeatability issues. This is an endemic problem with all the virtual base networks - not just DigFarm, so please understand that I am not singling out DigiFarm.

So what's your best option? With laying tile, you only have one opportunity to get it right. Therefore a portable base station within close proximity to where you are operating is going to provide the most accurate results. A portable base is a significant investment, but it's the best way to ensure that the job is done correctly.

tjm71
Posted 2/24/2016 16:01 (#5134435 - in reply to #5133399)

Central Illinois
Don't forget you just can't turn your johndeere receiver into a portable base with the 450 radio. They have to be licensed and registered with the fcc to a permanent location. GTD not sure where you are coming from with the vbn line shifts. Been running for over 2 years and never have experienced a line shift that was caused by the network and our whole farm system is mapped with lines and boundaries from strip till to harvest. The only line shift we have experienced on vbn was with the paradyme and as you know that is a known issue with the paradyme on vbn networks but can be resolved with a vbn if the network is aware of the problem and is interested in fixing it.
GTD
Posted 2/24/2016 17:51 (#5134678 - in reply to #5134435)

Effingham, IL

tjm71 - 2/24/2016 15:01  GTD not sure where you are coming from with the vbn line shifts. Been running for over 2 years and never have experienced a line shift that was caused by the network and our whole farm system is mapped with lines and boundaries from strip till to harvest. The only line shift we have experienced on vbn was with the paradyme and as you know that is a known issue with the paradyme on vbn networks but can be resolved with a vbn if the network is aware of the problem and is interested in fixing it.

A couple of points:

1. Not everyone has the luxury of having a network base sited on their own property like you do. The closer you are to an actual base, the better the VBN/VRS is at modeling the virtual base. With a base on your own property, I doubt the VBN is gaining you much of an advantage over a single baseline solution.
  2. The number one reason why people quite using VBN/VRS networks is because of repeatability issues. Case in Point: All the state CORS networks are VBN/VRS networks, and even though they are free to use, for-profit networks operate successfully within those states. If modeled solutions were reliable, it would be very difficult to justify spending money $750 to $1000 for an RTK subscription. This is also true for the for-profit VBN networks. Line-shift is a real problem.
  3. I wouldn't expect someone who profits from the sale of a VBN solution to readily admit any problems.
A-gate
Posted 2/24/2016 19:55 (#5135081 - in reply to #5134678)

SW Indiana

GTD - 2/24/2016 17:51

1. The number one reason why people quite using VBN/VRS networks is because of repeatability issues. Case in Point: All the state CORS networks are VBN/VRS networks, and even though they are free to use, for-profit networks operate successfully within those states. If modeled solutions were reliable, it would be very difficult to justify spending money $750 to $1000 for an RTK subscription. This is also true for the for-profit VBN networks. Line-shift is a real problem.

Just because a CORS network is a network of base stations, doesn't mean that every data stream available from that network is a VBN or VRS.  Most networks offer a single base solution as well.  I know that Leica networks (like Indiana CORS) also offer a MAX and I-MAX solution, neither of which are true VBN or VBS solutions.  Here is a link further discussing the differences: http://incors.in.gov/System1200_53_RTK_Networks_-_The_Different_Methods.pdf

There are really three reasons that for-profit networks are able to operate successfully in these states.  One is because of equipment limitations (Deere for example).  Two is because there have been a few networks with some issues (Iowa).  And the third is because customers are mis-informed and gather false information from the internet and from their precision providers who do not understand the technology.  I have many customer using the IN CORS that have had zero issues, and have not seen a line shift since they started using the system (except when IN updated their surveys, which amounted to a few cm shift).  

To the OP:  I am not recommending you use the CORS for tiling applications.  A portable base is going to be your most accurate solution.  I am just trying to clear up any misinformation regarding "all" CORS networks.  

tjm71
Posted 2/24/2016 20:12 (#5135144 - in reply to #5134678)

Central Illinois
1. I do not have a network base on my property, I am at the other extreme for the network as I am about as far from 3 bases on the network as you could get. 22 miles, 30 miles and I believe the third is I think 29 are my base distances. You are correct in your thinking on location of base as when the network started the base was going to be at my location but it didn't fit in the network at my place so was never installed.

2.And I totally agree that people would not switch from a free market of cors to a for profit network if their weren't trouble with cors, however if a vbn network is for profit they better provide a better and repeatable position or they won't be in business for long as their are many providers like yourselves who can provide that single baseline that is a tried and proven solution, but has its drawbacks also.

3. And yes I do own 3 bases in a vbn network but let me tell you the small return that I get from that ownership would never be worth supporting a customer group that was complaining of line shifts on rtk on a continuous basis, it just isn't happening here. We acctually have experience quite the opposite with the technology in the 6500 and cdma relay in our area. Support for those customers that are running them is almost never needed. I have had many customers tell me they have went through a complete season and never lost an rtk fix. That is pretty unbelievable to me considering I began with a single base solution on 900 network and clearly remember the support we had to give the customer to understand how it worked so when they called they knew enough that we could help them. And I do agree with you the most absolute accuracy for tiling is a base in the field period, at this time nothing can replace that. However when you look at the performance and versatility of the vbn network with a single rtk receiver that can easily be moved form one piece of equipment to another with accuracies that mimic a single base at two miles with static testing in our area other areas could be different but it's what we are seein here. You also add the advantages of a fully surveyed position every time you power up (portable base with quick start will not be repeatable except for that setup on that day or until tripod is moved). Just remember the value of the tile we install on our own farm greatly exceeds the return I will ever get from owning 3 bases in a vbn network or my agleader business. And we chose the vbn as a package to farm and tile with and will continue to follow that path until something better comes along which I am sure as fast as technology is changing it won't be long until we tile with a full satellite correction.

Really enjoy conversations like these as their is something for everyone to use to make decisions that best fit their area.

I still would bet my left ... On the line shift you talk about. Its just not happening in our area on our vbn.
GTD
Posted 2/24/2016 20:54 (#5135323 - in reply to #5135144)

Effingham, IL

tjm71 - 2/24/2016 19:12 1.   I still would bet my left ... On the line shift you talk about. Its just not happening in our area on our vbn.

I'll take that bet.

If you want confirmation, contact BigAL. You and I both know him. Ask him how well his customer got along with the VBN network last year.

I can provide more references if you like... but it won't be on this forum. This isn't the appropriate place to start naming names. Call me if interested.

NEILFarmer
Posted 2/24/2016 20:58 (#5135337 - in reply to #5135323)

Morris, IL
I just wanted to point out Barry, line shift on SLA still happens as well, happened up here. It was moving around every month or so for over a year, loosing a fix, moving when fix came back. Got it fixed now for over a year. Maybe not for the same reason, but it still happens, it's a pain in the butt.
GTD
Posted 2/24/2016 21:23 (#5135412 - in reply to #5135081)

Effingham, IL

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, so I'll apologize up front if this comes across that way... but there isn't an RTK network anywhere that has "zero" issues. All networks have their issues, but as a whole, the VRS/VBN networks have been the most problematic. Part of that is the fact that those types of networks are mostly operated by state agencies who don't charge for their service so they are typically understaffed and underbudgeted. Another problem is that computer modeling is never, ever 100% accurate, so errors are always present. With that said, most of the time the models perform very well and do provide a very accurate solution. But there times when that model breaks down and accuracy is sacrificed. This occurs under times of high atmospheric flux, when networked stations temporarily drop offline, as well as other causes. Leica Spider is no exception. In fact, Iowa is a Leica SpiderNet state, and the problems associated with that network are not entirely the fault of the network administrators, although it's definitely a factor. 

So bottom line, all the networks have their pluses and minuses despite what some of the for-profit network operators would like us to believe.

caleb_brown
Posted 2/24/2016 21:26 (#5135420 - in reply to #5133399)

West KY
I would not recommend laying tile from any tower, be it cellular or radio, unless I was less than 2 miles from the tower - and that's pushing it. You need to slap your SF1 receiver on the tractor for basic guidance for pattern tiling, RTK on the plow, and other RTK as a base in the field. As other posters said, you only have one chance to lay tile correctly - you do not want finicky RTK signal to mess that up. If you want RTK on the tractor to pull the plow, get another RTK receiver and do that. Just don't skimp on the elevation data for your plow.

PS - you can use your 450mhz radios as a base in the field without licensing - it's just not legal.

Edit: RTK in-field base hardware looks to be around $1300, I think you're looking for BPF10837.

Edited by caleb_brown 2/24/2016 22:03
tjm71
Posted 2/24/2016 21:30 (#5135436 - in reply to #5135420)

Central Illinois
1st time you interfere with an emergency services radio you will wish you never did that
GTD
Posted 2/24/2016 21:32 (#5135446 - in reply to #5135337)

Effingham, IL

Yes, but with a fixed base, that should never happen. I think if you dig into it, it was more than likely a hardware issue. Their base stations are mostly very old technology so equipment malfunctions occur more frequently as a result. Also, they don't reference their stations to the National Spatial Reference System coordinate system, so when switching between base stations line shifts occur. Most networks take this extra step and have their stations referenced.

GTD
Posted 2/24/2016 21:57 (#5135505 - in reply to #5135420)

Effingham, IL

PS - you can use your 450mhz radios as a base in the field without licensing - it's just not "legal".  

If you were to go that route, I would definitely select a radio that is capable of broadcasting at 1 watt or less.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way, shape, or form condoning the use of an unlicensed 450mhz radio signal. 

Starfire
Posted 2/25/2016 08:10 (#5136113 - in reply to #5134365)

Central Wisconsin

Would it not be the same for John Deere SF2 corrections only more so on weather affects

JHEnt
Posted 2/25/2016 08:10 (#5136114 - in reply to #5135323)

Southern Illinois
I'd agree with Barry. Down here the VBN being discussed has alot of line shifts or what farmers have described as wobble. They all have said their display shows being online but the line moves as much as 2inches along the field.
Now to be fair they are operating on bases as far as 70-80 miles apart. So even if they are just 20 miles from a base the solution is severly degraded. As someone else's tagline says. Your milage may vary.
JHEnt
Posted 2/25/2016 08:24 (#5136151 - in reply to #5136113)
Subject: RE: SF2

Southern Illinois
SF2 works by broadcasting localized ionospheric corrections. The rover has to receive all of the stream and wait untill the stream has data relevant to its location on earth. It works much like Omnistar and Terrastar does in that way.

VBN actually uses more geometry and less ionospheric calculations. There is an adjustment for local 1st order iono differencing between bases for the virtual location but the sat range data is primarily formed by geometry from ecef calculations.

MAC/MAX let's the receiver manufacturer decide how to apply the networked data. The receiver gets the Master station data and the differences between each aux and the master station. The receiver then does its own iono math internally. Novatel does an awesome job at this I've found.

iMAC/ iMAX the receiver gets a modified data set from the master reference station in the subnetwork. I don't know how Lieca does theirs. I've done it by constantly updating the iono delay for every sat and every base each time a base update is received. I do this by first usig a divergence free filter to combine the code and phase measurements then use that to update the iono TEC value. Take the slant TEC and convert to vert TECto compute second and third order error terms. Convert then back to slant TEC for each frequency. The network calculation then figures the slant TEC for each common sat at the users position between stations. Then I subtract the Master station delay values from the range measurements and insert the users calculated delay values back into the range measurements. The rover then gets an update that contains an accurate Master station range measurement but with the iono delay adjusted to more accurately coincide with the rovers actual iono delay. This way when the rover does its double differencing internally or can cancel it's actual iono delay. This method also then allows for the geometry to not be interfered with so it's tropo calculations remain accurate.
Mountain Mechanic
Posted 2/25/2016 16:42 (#5137145 - in reply to #5133399)

You need a base in the field. I'm going to assume even the 3000 is still a sigma 1 receiver since I can't find any published specs on it. If it is in fact a sigma 1 receiver you need to keep your baseline distances as short as possible because you will already be lacking some vertical accuracy. If you have a lot of grade it won't be as much of an issue but if you need to put some pipe in nearly flat you will need all the help you can get. Would strongly recommend a plow control system with a quality slope sensor, it can help compensate.
GTD
Posted 2/25/2016 19:19 (#5137483 - in reply to #5137145)

Effingham, IL

If you don't mind me asking... what is a sigma 1 receiver? 

A-gate
Posted 2/25/2016 19:27 (#5137505 - in reply to #5135412)

SW Indiana

I never said the network had zero problems, maybe I should have been more clear...several of my customers have had zero issues with the network. 

My main point was to correct your statement that "All the state CORS networks are VBN/VRS networks".  This is simply not true.  There are other data stream options available, as I pointed out.

tjm71
Posted 2/25/2016 20:15 (#5137640 - in reply to #5137483)

Central Illinois
I think a sigma 1 receiver achieves advertised accuracy 65% of time and a sigma 2 reaches accuracy 95% of time. Some one will explain this better as I'm not a statistition. The itc Deere was a sigma 1. Not sure on the 3000
Mountain Mechanic
Posted 2/25/2016 20:55 (#5137768 - in reply to #5137483)

The sigma scale in gps receivers is used to differentiate between different accuracy levels. A sigma 1 receiver is a low level receiver used in a wide array of applications from automobile to handheld to lower end ag applications. Sigma 1 receivers used in a RTK application will be repeatably sub-inch accurate 68% of the time. A sigma 2 receiver in an RTK application will be repeatably sub-inch accurate 95% of the time. A sigma 3 receiver in an RTK application will be repeatably sub-inch accurate 98% of the time. Sigma 1 examples automotive gps, your phone and in ag Outback and John Deere. Sigma 2 Trimble Ag, Topcon Ag, Raven, AgLeader. Sigma 3 Trimble Construction, Topcon Construction. These are the examples I know from my research over the years. I can't say for sure about Deere's newest receivers because they don't list any specs anymore which leads me to believe they are still using a sigma 1 receiver. I would think that if they had upgraded their receiver in that aspect they would want to advertise it because it is a significant upgrade, particularly in vertical applications like tile plows. They have made some improvements in terrain comp. but I haven't seen anything on accuracy. I'm not sure on Outback's newest technology either as it takes a lot of time to keep up with this type of stuff. I try not to beat up on different brands but when you start talking tiling people need to know what they are getting into because of the dollars going into the ground. There are a lot of applications where a sigma 1 receiver is fine.

You also have to remember this applies to the rover receiver and the base station. The lower sigma rating in the equation sets the sigma rating for the whole operation.

Edited by Mountain Mechanic 2/25/2016 20:59
GTD
Posted 2/25/2016 21:05 (#5137795 - in reply to #5137640)

Effingham, IL

You're probably right. But I'm not sure if that's a good measure of a GPS's accuracy. I know in the past it was pretty much standard practice to state the accuracy level at 1 sigma. Just in the recent past, I think, it's pretty much become standard practice to report 2 sigma accuracy, though admittedly not all companies do so. When evaluating receivers, especially some of the ones that have been around for a while, 1 sigma stated accuracy was more the norm at that time. Also, 1 sigma isn't necessarily a good indicator of what 2 sigma would be. 

GTD
Posted 2/25/2016 21:23 (#5137856 - in reply to #5137505)

Effingham, IL

I think we're parsing words here. 

I agree wholeheartedly that many of the state CORS networks have a single baseline option, however, they were built with the intention of being used primarily as a virtual network. This is evidenced by the low density of base stations in these networks. In fact the density is low enough that for the majority of users, a single baseline solution isn't an option because there is not a base located in close enough proximity to provide a accurate correction. Again, these networks were built and intended to be used mainly as a VBN solution, or as Trimble calls theirs, a VRS solution. So I don't think it's a stretch to make the statement that all CORS networks are VRS/VBN networks.

Mountain Mechanic
Posted 2/25/2016 21:39 (#5137906 - in reply to #5137795)

Actually, it's a very good way to know what you are looking at and to be able to make an apples to apples comparison. For example every company that sells gps receivers that are capable of RTK will tell you they are sub-inch accurate. The difference is a Trimble ag receiver is sub-inch accurate 95% of the time and a John Deere receiver is sub-inch 68% of the time. Up until recently you could look at John Deere's RTK ad and the fine print at the bottom actually said 68% of the time. The reason this is true accuracy is because it is base on survey data over a 24 hour period. A base is surveyed in and given a one inch circle at the center of it's location. Over that period the John Deere base will plot it's own location inside of that circle 68% of the time and the Trimble base will plot it's location inside of that circle 95% of the time. It is very measurable data. This becomes very important in vertical applications because vertical accuracy falls off much more quickly and exponentially.
WTW
Posted 2/25/2016 22:12 (#5138002 - in reply to #5137768)

Winkler, Manitoba Canada
JD Starfire 3000 receiver, 1cm + 1ppm 95% so that would be sigma 2.

Info source: 2012 GPS survey attached at bottom.

Edited by WTW 2/25/2016 22:17

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2012GPSWorld_Receiver_Survey.pdf (4260KB - 1096 downloads)
GTD
Posted 2/25/2016 22:14 (#5138005 - in reply to #5137906)

Effingham, IL

I'm assuming you mean something like the below plot. This is the John Deere receiver you speak of at a 10 mile baseline. So is it a sigma 1, 2, or 3 receiver?

Edited by GTD 2/25/2016 22:19

(20160208-180312-JD_02_08_16_WL-path.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20160208-180312-JD_02_08_16_WL-path.gif (154KB - 141 downloads)
Mountain Mechanic
Posted 2/25/2016 22:19 (#5138016 - in reply to #5138002)

That is correct. I'm glad to see they are finally using a quality receiver.

That is a great resource you posted for good comparisons.

Edited by Mountain Mechanic 2/25/2016 22:29
Mountain Mechanic
Posted 2/25/2016 22:20 (#5138022 - in reply to #5138005)

Exactly. That is how true accuracy is measured.

I have been studying the graph you posted and one thing I have noticed is that it is scaled opposite to the scale most receiver manufacturers use. The next thing is that is not enough dots for a 24 hour survey. I don't think all of the information is available there. The spec that WTW posted below is a receiver that meets the sigma 2 spec straight up. This graph would have you believe that it is a sigma 3 receiver but no ag GNSS company is going to use that expensive of a receiver. A construction grade receiver alone costs as much as an entire ag guidance system and it would never pay back in ag. It doesn't say what receiver model it is but all of Deere's receivers previous to the 3000 are sigma 1 receivers by their own notation of a 68% accuracy. All of the specs were pretty easy to find on the earlier models which is why I questioned the 3000, but the specs have been shown. If you give me the model of the receiver shown I should be able to produce the manufacturer spec.

Edited by Mountain Mechanic 2/25/2016 23:12
GTD
Posted 2/25/2016 23:37 (#5138121 - in reply to #5138022)

Effingham, IL

Would this be considered a 1 sigma or 2 sigma receiver?

http://www.chcnav.com/index.php/Home/article/detailPage/parentID/1462/cat_id/1463/artID/872

GTD
Posted 2/25/2016 23:50 (#5138135 - in reply to #5138022)

Effingham, IL

That's a plot of the StarFire 3000 receiver. Because of the number of decimals that the 3000 exports the GGA data in, the individual logged points actually have many points overlayed on top of each other. But you are correct, that's a 6 hour plot. I collect a total of 24 hours of data broken into 4, 6 hour logs. That gives me a good estimation of short term performance vs. longer term performance. I've done these tests for all the major brands of Ag GPS on the market today. There is definitely a difference between new GPS technology versus old technology.

But just so I understand... you would consider a 1 sigma receiver inferior to a 2 sigma receiver as stated by the manufacturer? 

FactoryFarmer
Posted 2/26/2016 06:39 (#5138312 - in reply to #5133399)

N IL

First off, I’d like to apologize in advanced Don. I normally do not jump in on threads like this because I do not want to keep a conversation such as this active. Not because of the fact that there are certain individuals questioning what we at DigiFarm do, but because we are so far off the original posters topic that this thread is almost pointless now. I cannot and will not stand by the false information being spread about our company.  Have you noticed how often people on here start threads asking questions about RTK hoping to get informative replies but there are a few individuals on here that always find a way to hijack the post and turn it into a mud slinging event directed toward their competitors?  

With that being said I’d like to clear some things up once again.

#1 in regards to line-shift and the VBN network not being repeatable.  I will second what Tim said about the things that I am doing on my own personal farm mean more to me than anything else I do. We are 100% strip-till with all of our nutrients precision placed in regards to the seed.  Accuracy is extremely important to our bottom line and if the VBN could not provide the accuracy that we require, then frankly I wouldn’t even bother using it.  If anyone really thinks that I or Tim or any one of our customers are going to trust the guidance on their own farms to something that is not repeatable they should really step back and take another look at the situation.  For the record, 90% of our ground is in between 3 different base stations just like in Tims situation. Within DigiFarm there are a few other individuals who use the VBN on their own farming operations as well including our President who originally started the company.  I do not think you will find any other network providers out there that rely as heavily on their own products as we do.  Additionally, I could not and would not sell something to a customer that I have not used personally with great success.

Something else I'd like to clear up is we do not have any 80 mile long baselines anywhere within our network. I have heard that mentioned many times before on here by JHEnt and it is a flat out lie.  

JHEnt
Posted 2/26/2016 06:57 (#5138358 - in reply to #5138312)

Southern Illinois
OK dave, but that's not what your users and your dealers/resellers have told me. You say one thing they say another. If you have bases in beteeen those that your dealer know the location of then they have given me poor information.

My comment was based on the best facts I have been told by many parties. I actually said the bases are 70 to 80 miles apart. I did not say there were 70 mile user baselines. I'll leave it at that.

Edited by JHEnt 2/26/2016 09:01
JHEnt
Posted 2/26/2016 07:03 (#5138374 - in reply to #5137483)
Subject: RE: Sigma rating

Southern Illinois
The sigma rating is the accuracy filter. For a base station a 1 sigma will output range data for a specific satellite if the range data passes 68% of the time. NORMALLY that satillite's data will be much better than that but that is the minimum to be included in the output.
2 Sigma passes the data only if it's 95% accurate.
3 sigma passes data only if 99% accurate.
Mountain Mechanic
Posted 2/26/2016 10:50 (#5138881 - in reply to #5138121)

If 1 is low and 3 is high, that looks like a sigma 3 to me. I'm no engineer and don't claim to be an expert in the technical data, I apologize if it comes across that way. I spent a lot of time with an engineer asking a lot of questions and doing a lot of reading when I started working with gps equipment years ago because I wanted to understand the differences between the different receivers. 99% of the time in ag applications none of this matters but when you go vertical that completely changes the game. If all gps receivers had a spec sheet like the X91 you posted it would be real easy to see the differences. I can also see where you are coming from with the sigma scale due to the fact not everyone handles it the same. As you probably know it's not specific to the world of gps but was adopted for use with gps equipment.
GTD
Posted 2/26/2016 12:32 (#5139063 - in reply to #5138312)

Effingham, IL

Like any other discussion between two or more people, conversations often evolve into sometimes related, and sometime unrelated topics. It is no different for discussion board discussions. The OP received many replies to his questions and evolved into a technical discussion on the merits of a virtual base solution. So rather than make an appeal to your own authority by saying - hey I'm a farmer, I use VBN, I don't have any problems with it so trust me, and oh by the way, I'm a sales rep for and I sell a VBN solution myself - present your argument based upon the technical merits of the discussion. 

Also, I'll leave you with this piece advice: It's always best to conduct oneself in a professional and ethical manner. For instance, if I were to send an email out to your landlords saying "I am very aware there have been some issues with (Insert Own Name Here) Farms recently and I just wanted to offer you a better option for your farm ground as well as more rental income", I think you and I would both agree that that is a dirty and unethical way of doing business. In most cases when people choose to take the unethical route, it comes back to bite them later on. I hope that you agree.

Edited by GTD 2/26/2016 12:34
GTD
Posted 2/26/2016 12:44 (#5139084 - in reply to #5138881)

Effingham, IL

The receiver in the link is rated at 10mm + or - 1ppm RMS. RMS stands for Root Mean Squared which equates to 1 sigma (68%). If it said 2D RMS then that would be a 2 sigma (95%) receiver. 

Thanks for the good discussion. I thought that's what you meant when you referred to sigma1, but I just wanted to clarify. 

JHEnt
Posted 2/27/2016 08:39 (#5140466 - in reply to #5139063)
Subject: Guys

Southern Illinois

I'm not certain how that was supposed to sound Barry.

Dave, to set your mind at ease I absolutely do not go chasing down your dealers or your customers. I simply know alot of the people in my region who you have signed on. We talk, nothing else. When you actively approach equipment dealers and coops you're likely going to talk to someone I am at least aquainted with. Just so you know, I do not try to get just anyone to be a reseller. I only look for a partner who provides a hosting location for my bases. As I have personally purchased all of my hardware you can imagine I am very selective.
Yes I have had some of your customers reach out to me looking for something else. Perhaps instead of getting so upset you should go to your bosses and get them to invest in a solution to the issues. I just gave you more feedback than customers often will.

Barry I have only heard a few complaints about MyWay's system. These seem to involve connection issues with certain bases. I completely understatd the issue with the lack of hardwired internet connections. Finding a reliable connection when hardline DSL or fiber is not available can be tricky.

I am looking much more to the future of software than to direct farmer RTK sales. I am not looking to take over the RTK provider market. I have another 10 bases that I purchased over a year ago that I am still going to add to my own network and I may add further down the road, but I see a great deal more potential in providing an economical software package to equipment dealers who already have base stations put up but cannot make back their investment. By providing them their own server they can keep their subscription incomes and see a return and thereby add future coverage to their own networks. Towards that end I have one of the international GNSS hardware manufacturers testing the nuts and bolts of my software right now.

GTD
Posted 2/27/2016 10:42 (#5140737 - in reply to #5140466)
Subject: RE: Guys

Effingham, IL

Dave, to set your mind at ease I absolutely do not go chasing down your dealers or your customers. 

This is how most people choose to conduct themselves in business.

You're in the RTK business, so you know how expensive it is to build out your own network. Since it's so expensive, most companies choose to bring on partners who are willing to invest in, and host the equipment needed to provide the correction service. This spreads the cost out so that it's not such a large investment for the RTK service provider. But it's a long hard slog finding the right people in the right locations who are willing to make such an investment. As such, it's a painstakingly slow process to build a network and cover the area that you want to cover. Few people/companies are willing to commit the time and resources to do this. But there is another, much cheaper way.

The cheaper, easier way is to target existing RTK network service providers. Those providers already have the equipment in place and the coverage necessary to provide an effective RTK solution, so if you can get them to switch their stations over to your network, you can expand your own network rapidly and at very little cost since those people have already invested in the equipment and have it in place. For those who have no scruples doing business in this manner, it's a stroke of genius because it's a fast track to making a profit.

Thankfully most businesses choose to conduct themselves in an ethical manner, but unfortunately there are always a few who choose take the easier less ethical route. Sometimes it catches up with them, and sometimes not.  

gpsdude
Posted 2/27/2016 21:04 (#5141775 - in reply to #5140737)
Subject: RE: Guys

NE South Dakota Clark, SD
My personal opinion for the OP is that until I get some more data, I would not use any network for any vertical application. I used to sell Digifarm, but I am no longer with that dealership. I had great luck as far as horizontal accuracy. I hope to do some testing this summer on Digifarm's network so I can say if it is accurate enough for vertical applications. I know a base in the field works. I also know one grade control system dose not use control points or benchmarks for repeatability. I still do not understand why they do not as all the others do use them. I would recommend doing some testing to see how they perform over time. If a typical tile runs takes 1 hour from start of survey to finishing laying tile, you should log at least that long. I would log double just to be safe. I know this does not answer your question, good luck on your decision and welcome to the world of tiling.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)