AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ez 500, ez steer, ez boom
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

gafarmer
Posted 2/15/2016 21:52 (#5114552)
Subject: Ez 500, ez steer, ez boom

Willacoochee, GA
I have a new to me ez 500 with ez steer and ez boom. The 500 and ez steer are great, but I am having issues getting the cable or cables I need to go from my ez boom. I have tee jet electric ball valves, flow meter and pressure regulating valve. Is the age of this set up why I am having problems, or am I looking in the wrong place. I am trying to use my local dealer on this, maybe that is my mistake. Does anybody know what I need or have any suggestions where to start looking?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tedbear
Posted 2/16/2016 05:11 (#5114811 - in reply to #5114552)
Subject: RE: Ez 500, ez steer, ez boom

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
EZ Boom was meant to be an easy replacement for a Raven 440/450 type controller. For the most part, the cabling required is the same as Raven.

A Raven console cable will connect to the back of the EZ-Boom. There are a few different types but they all have the 16 pin connector to mate with the Raven console or EZ-Boom. These console cables terminate in different ways. The original style had a 6 pin connector and a small cable for a flowmeter. A newer style has another 16 pin connector on it. In other words, it has a 16 pin connector on both ends.

For ball valves I would recommend the style that has the 16 pin connector on both ends. This cable can connect to a Raven product cable on the sprayer which connects to your flowmeter, control valve and ON/OFF valves. I recommend the 16 pin style since it has the Power wire in it that is necessary for your ball valves. The console cable with 16 pin connectors on both ends should have one end labelled CONSOLE. Be certain to connect that end to your EZ-Boom. Connecting it backwards shouldn't do any damage but things may not work properly.

These cables would be available from a Raven dealer or other sources.

Edited by tedbear 2/16/2016 05:34
cbellfarms
Posted 2/16/2016 07:56 (#5115079 - in reply to #5114552)

NW IL, Mercer County
This cable plugs into either a 4x0 raven controller or you can plug directly into raven harness and eliminate 4x0 monitor. Other end plugs into back of EZ boom.

Edit: I see you said tee jet control valve. This cable is probably not what you need.

Edited by cbellfarms 2/16/2016 07:58

(image.jpeg)

(image.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpeg (128KB - 246 downloads)
Attachments image.jpeg (101KB - 262 downloads)
ljadx160
Posted 2/16/2016 19:41 (#5116519 - in reply to #5114552)

North Central Iowa
I have an older Sprayer Specialties pull sprayer that had an older manual Teejet controller. So I made my own (well, modified a) cable to hook up to an Ez-Boom. Don't have a flow meter yet, so the flow control is still manual but use it for auto boom control.

(EZ Boom Valve Control Cable.JPG)

(EZ Boom Valve Control Wiring.jpg)

(EZ-Boom_Pinout.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments EZ Boom Valve Control Cable.JPG (35KB - 401 downloads)
Attachments EZ Boom Valve Control Wiring.jpg (76KB - 382 downloads)
Attachments EZ-Boom_Pinout.jpg (70KB - 332 downloads)
ljadx160
Posted 2/16/2016 19:45 (#5116531 - in reply to #5116519)

North Central Iowa
So in my previous post I included images of the cable I bought with the pin out diagrams of the cable and the back of the EZ-boom. So then I just reworked the sprayer end of the cable as needed. Bought some matching connectors (weatherpak) and rewired the sprayer to the new plugs. Got the wire/connector parts I needed from Sensor-1. The pin extraction tools they sell make it way easier to modify the connectors.
tedbear
Posted 2/17/2016 05:14 (#5117167 - in reply to #5116519)

This cable will work for shutting ON/OFF the boom valves. The picture on top does not contain the connections for the control valve (pressure regulator) or the flowmeter branch. The cable shown would operate up 10 ON/OFF valves or less. Note that in the wiring boxes, Pins 3, 4, 11, 12, & 13 are not used. Pins 3 & 4 are used for Inc/Dec to run the control valve. Pins 11, 12, 13 are used for the flow meter. This cable can work fine for the original poster since he is only using this cable for auto swath and not automatic control. Wires will need to be added when he goes to using a flow meter and control valve for automatic rate control.

If your sprayer has 6 booms or less then the regular Raven console/Raven product pair that I mention above will handle your needs. The Raven Console/Product pair would provide a disconnect between the two which is very desirable and necessary for a pull-type sprayer. This allows the sprayer to be unhooked from the tractor. The console cable would be left with the tractor and the product cable would stay with the sprayer. The pair also contains the branches for the control valve and flow meter.

Each to their own but I would certainly want to be using a flowmeter and have automatic product rate control.

Edited by tedbear 2/17/2016 05:23
gafarmer
Posted 2/17/2016 06:08 (#5117206 - in reply to #5117167)

Willacoochee, GA
Tedbear, do you have the part number for the cables you are talking about? My raven contact says he can't get the right cables without a part number.
tedbear
Posted 2/17/2016 07:23 (#5117309 - in reply to #5117206)

gafarmer - 2/17/2016 05:08

Tedbear, do you have the part number for the cables you are talking about? My raven contact says he can't get the right cables without a part number.

No unfortunately as I have retired from working with these everyday. There would be several combinations available. What I'm thinking of would be the common Raven 440/450 console cable (10') with a 16 pin connector on each end. The product cable is available in different lengths and boom valve connectors. Your Raven dealer must not be very helpful if they can't figure that out for you.
Mmaxed
Posted 2/17/2016 12:46 (#5117978 - in reply to #5117206)

Raven console cable pn 115-0171-085
Raven flow cable pn 115-0171-129

You will have to change ends on the flow cable to hook up to your flow meter, control valve and boom valves. This is the cabling that Ted said would support up to 6 sections.
ljadx160
Posted 2/17/2016 07:21 (#5117302 - in reply to #5114552)

North Central Iowa
Tedbear is correct the cable won't work "as is" for flow control as the P1 connection (the main 16 round connector) doesn't have wires into pins 3 and 4 (for valve control) and 11, 12, and 13 to pick up the flow meter as needed to go into the EZ-boom as mentioned. Since I only have 3 control valves on 60 ft sprayer, I've repurposed various wires and re-wired the plugs. So for example, used the blue and yellow (from pin 7 and 8) and moved to pin locations 3 and 4 for valve control. Obviously, not as easy as buying a set of cables that might be wired correctly already, but since I was wiring up to something that would be completely custom, not that big of deal. At least at the time, this is one of the few cables I could find that had good wiring/pinout diagrams to know I could figure it out.

I also agree that flow control is the way to go. Baby steps. Had complete manual control for 7 years with a Teejet 744 controller (manual boom switches and a pressure regulating control valve, no flow meter), used an ez-boom for the first time last year. Hopefully this spring will get a flow meter plumbed in.

So hopefully there are some better cables you can get that will be a little less work.

I should also mention that the power for my control valves doesn't come through this cable. I provide this power through the 7-pin ag. trailer plug on the back of the tractor on an auxiliary pin direct from the battery (on a fused line).
krisv86
Posted 2/17/2016 10:45 (#5117730 - in reply to #5117302)

I have a Willmar 750 on the farm. It had an old Microtrac controller in it along with Microtrac flowmeter and control valve, they were very problematic. I work for an ag dealer and I sell both Raven and Trimble, I was able to scoop up an old EZ-Boom and a 500. I know it is possible to use the existing wiring in most scenarios but I gutted the whole machine and went with a Raven control valve and meter right out of the gate. Hopefully this will make it easy to troubleshoot if I have problems in the future. I would never go back, its a great system and has already paid for itself. Farmtronics and AgExpress make custom cables, give them a call and see what they can do for you... but if it were me I would gut it and start fresh.
tedbear
Posted 2/18/2016 06:21 (#5119630 - in reply to #5117730)

Yes, sometimes its better to just bite the bullet and pay a bit more and start over. EZ-Boom does work but I really never like it because of my earlier exposure and use of an Insight as a Raven replacement.
Forty2366
Posted 2/18/2016 22:10 (#5121650 - in reply to #5114552)

Mercer County, Ohio on the Indiana line
I set my sprayer up to ezboom last year. I had a micro track sprayer so I was able to get a harness that plugged straight into my harness.

It only took P/n 17582 to plug into my existing harness.

You may need to get all the harnesses listed in the other pic to wire into your ball valves, servo (flow control) valve, and flow meter. All the connectors should plug right into tee jet components.

The webpage I found these in is here-

http://www.micro-trak.com/images/docman-files/manual-liquid-raven-4...

Edited by Forty2366 2/18/2016 22:12

(image.png)

(image.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.png (174KB - 337 downloads)
Attachments image.png (113KB - 356 downloads)
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)