AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First experience with shark tooth shredder in peas, looks good.(PIC)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 8/8/2008 00:23 (#430812)
Subject: First experience with shark tooth shredder in peas, looks good.(PIC)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Tried field peas tonite with the shark tooth shredder in the rear position, seems to break the pea straw into little pieces.
No stringy clumps of pea straw hanging on the spreaders and rear axle to fall off as lumps all over the field. Spreads like a carpet.
Even the ocasional green grass stem shows cuts and kinks every few inches.
Have to see what it does in tougher pea straw, but right now it looks like a winner for an axial flow in peas with no factory chopper.

Edited by Jon Hagen 8/8/2008 14:54

(spread with shark tooth shredder..JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments spread with shark tooth shredder..JPG (45KB - 271 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rosco
Posted 8/8/2008 00:29 (#430821 - in reply to #430812)
Subject: Nice crop!

Galahad, Alberta
Peas look good, standing well, clean. Well done Jon! What does the shredder look like? Any link to a site? What kind of header is that?
Rosco
Jon Hagen
Posted 8/8/2008 00:59 (#430829 - in reply to #430821)
Subject: RE: Nice crop!

Header is a Deere 925 F with SCS cutting system and Crary air reel.
attached is a pic of the Shark tooth shredder grate.

http://www.hy-capacity.com/index.cfm?chapter=parts&page=results&grp...

Edited by Jon Hagen 8/8/2008 01:05

(Shark tooth shredder..JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Shark tooth shredder..JPG (69KB - 202 downloads)
Buzz77
Posted 8/8/2008 09:16 (#430953 - in reply to #430829)

NEND
Did you buy the shark tooth from Hy-Capacity, or did you get it locally? How did installation go, time consuming and difficult, or was it fairly easy? Keep us informed on how it works in other crops. Thanks.

Looking at your pic, crop touring around the country, and looking at everyone's garden: the pea crop is absolutely fantastic. Is this the year of 75 bushel peas? Up near Walhalla, ND there is a ripe field and it is all pods (full)

I have raised peas in the past, harvested with a sund pickup and coulter. The new varieties look easier to deal with at harvest. Are those leafless or semi-leafless? Would a sund strip them? Does the main stem snap off easily like the old varieties? Flexing looks like it works real nice.

Buzz77
Old Pokey
Posted 8/8/2008 09:45 (#430979 - in reply to #430812)
Subject: Red Rooster?

How is the power consumption Jon? Sounds worth it reguardless, but was wondering how much power you might figure it takes to chop the straw with the rotor?

Looks great. Are you using auto-jon guidance?
Rosco
Posted 8/8/2008 10:25 (#430998 - in reply to #430829)

Galahad, Alberta
Cool! Do you change anything on the rotor, or just set a stop so that you don't raise the concave into the rotor and rip all the sections off? Looks like a great way to chop tough straw.
Rosco
Gambler
Posted 8/8/2008 11:09 (#431020 - in reply to #430998)

Rosco - 8/8/2008 10:25

Cool! Do you change anything on the rotor, or just set a stop so that you don't raise the concave into the rotor and rip all the sections off? Looks like a great way to chop tough straw.
Rosco

Those sections aren't fastened to a concave section... but to one of the grates . grates stay same distance from rotor always only concave sections move up / down closer or further from rotor

looks like a good job Do report back on power Consumption
Jon Hagen
Posted 8/8/2008 13:54 (#431113 - in reply to #430998)

Rosco - 8/9/2008 09:25

Rosco

The shark tooth shredder does not replace a concave, it replaces the rear separator grate which runs at a fixed distance from the rotor..
The knife sections clear the rotor bars by about an inch
Jon Hagen
Posted 8/8/2008 14:05 (#431118 - in reply to #430979)
Subject: RE: Red Rooster?

Don, I wish I had a red rooster for this machine also, have to check the salvage yards or see if ACME still sells them. Love the smooth power and replacing $4-1/2 diesel fuel with $2 propane.

Brother was driving, so that's why the pass is pretty straight . The combine was not making any smoke, but brother said he was not pushing it too hard. Will report what it takes in tough damp straw ;-)

Edited by Jon Hagen 8/8/2008 14:38
Jon Hagen
Posted 8/8/2008 14:25 (#431127 - in reply to #430953)

Buzz77 - 8/9/2008 08:16

Did you buy the shark tooth from Hy-Capacity, or did you get it locally? How did installation go, time consuming and difficult, or was it fairly easy? Keep us informed on how it works in other crops. Thanks.

Looking at your pic, crop touring around the country, and looking at everyone's garden: the pea crop is absolutely fantastic. Is this the year of 75 bushel peas? Up near Walhalla, ND there is a ripe field and it is all pods (full)

I have raised peas in the past, harvested with a sund pickup and coulter. The new varieties look easier to deal with at harvest. Are those leafless or semi-leafless? Would a sund strip them? Does the main stem snap off easily like the old varieties? Flexing looks like it works real nice.

Buzz77

I bought the STSG from my local Case IH dealer in Harvey ND, they got it from the HY Capacity warehouse in Mandan ND.
It goes in easy, just 4 bolts on the left and hooks on the right like a standard grate.

I don't know what the yield will be, but seems pretty good, the grain tank fills pretty quick on what is one of our poorest fields. We have not had any meaningful rain for a long time and crops are hurt some.

The peas are DS Admiral, I think they are semi leafless. They do well in this area, stand well and are resistant to a lot of problems.

I really do not know how a Sund would harvest them, I have not had to do that since the wet 90's. We used to windrow and roll them with a PT Macdon /JD 590 windrower with lifters and have direct cut them with a this flex head the last 3 years.

Edited by Jon Hagen 8/8/2008 15:00
collegeboy
Posted 8/8/2008 18:05 (#431196 - in reply to #430812)
Subject: question

Slicker than a Yes album.
Looks good, Jon. What are these used for? Seed? Soup?

On a side note, acme is still in business in Mankato. Got an updated website, so I assume they are still doing R and D on the new stuff.

http://www.acmecarb.com/
Buzz77
Posted 8/8/2008 21:36 (#431301 - in reply to #431127)

NEND
Jon,

I raaised the old trapper pea in the late 1970's. Vines 4 feet long and flat. Last peas I raised were Bohatyr and Carnival in the mid 1990's. They both fell over as they matured . Are the peas still boss in regard to sundown and dew? I remember trying to make just one more round every night and it took forever. They liked to wrap. Seemed like if a cloud went over they thought about wrapping.

Buzz77
Chet Z
Posted 8/8/2008 22:45 (#431369 - in reply to #431196)
Subject: RE:Another question

Nance County, Ne
What do these Peas look like once harvested?

Never seen them but have heard of them on this site.
Jon Hagen
Posted 8/8/2008 23:08 (#431399 - in reply to #431301)

Buzz77 - 8/9/2008 20:36

Jon,

I raaised the old trapper pea in the late 1970's. Vines 4 feet long and flat. Last peas I raised were Bohatyr and Carnival in the mid 1990's. They both fell over as they matured . Are the peas still boss in regard to sundown and dew? I remember trying to make just one more round every night and it took forever. They liked to wrap. Seemed like if a cloud went over they thought about wrapping.

Buzz77

LOL, still that way, let the pea vines or combine parts get a little damp and everything wraps up.
Jon Hagen
Posted 8/8/2008 23:14 (#431404 - in reply to #431196)
Subject: RE: question

collegeboy - 8/9/2008 17:05

Looks good, Jon. What are these used for? Seed? Soup?

On a side note, acme is still in business in Mankato. Got an updated website, so I assume they are still doing R and D on the new stuff.

http://www.acmecarb.com/

Dry peas come in either yellow or green, are used for animal feed or human food if they meet quality standards. One always hopes to get the human food grade, much more $$ than for animal feed. ;-)
Jon Hagen
Posted 8/8/2008 23:21 (#431410 - in reply to #431369)
Subject: RE:Another question (PIC)

Chet Z - 8/9/2008 21:45

What do these Peas look like once harvested?

Never seen them but have heard of them on this site.

Like tiny yellow or green marbles, very round, very hard. Jump into a truck with a scattering of dry peas on the floor and I guarntee you will do an instant crash and burn when your feet skid out from under you as you hit those little ball bearings, LOL.

Edited by Jon Hagen 8/8/2008 23:23

(Dry yellow peas.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dry yellow peas.JPG (54KB - 146 downloads)
Chet Z
Posted 8/8/2008 23:40 (#431426 - in reply to #431410)
Subject: Re: First experience with shark tooth shredder in peas, looks good.(PIC)

Nance County, Ne
Basically they resemble what a soybean looks like.
JohnW
Posted 8/9/2008 02:26 (#431506 - in reply to #431404)
Subject: Edible Peas.....

NW Washington
The edible green and yellow peas are usually split and decorticated and sold dry to make split pea soup in North America. Some other places in the world eat the whole peas and others process them and make snack food.

http://www.pea-lentil.com/consumer.htm
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)