AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reference layers on Insight Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/2/2008 08:39 (#426857 - in reply to #426253)
Subject: RE: Clarification

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I agree with Bo.

I believe your best and possibly only option given the fact that the planting was done with a PF is to go the paper route.

This is really not that bad and was your only choice in the past.

The onscreen reference map will show a "screenshot" of what the field looked like at the end of some previous operation that was done with that particular Insight.

So if you only have one Insight for your farm and you use it for planting and then move it to the combine for harvesting, the onscreen reference map would be available and things should work out well. When you ask for the reference map the screenshot is shown and the present operation (harvesting) walks over it as harvesting progresses with the default settings.

It is also possible to activate variety tracking where the variety being harvested switches automatically based on the planting reference map. This keeps the varieties separate in the Summary section. There can be some false switching if the headlands were planted to a different variety than the main part of the field. Since I don't do split planter and run the combine myself, I leave the variety tracking unchecked and just have the system set to warn me of a variety change where I can manually change varieties if I choose to.

It is possible to uncheck the data box and then you could see the entire planting reference map if you should choose to do so while harvesting for a temporary reference of the entire field varieties. Generally you would leave the defaults as is.

If you used this same one Insight to also work with your sprayer or NH3 applicator these reference maps could also be displayed in the background. The planting varietiy map is probably the most useful but many combinations are possible as long as the reference operation is different from the current one.

Another example. If you used the Insight to spray your soybeans, it is not possible to use that reference map for spraying a second time. Either of the spray maps could be used as a reference for harvesting if that is desired.

As the popularity of the Insight increases many of us have become addicted to the point that we have more than one Insight. This can cause many combinations of events that just don't occur if you only have one Insight.

In my case it is not too bad because I do not have more than one combine, planter, sprayer etc. so that an operation such as planting need not be done with two Insights. If I dedicate one Insight to planting (which I do since only one has autopilot unlocked for steering) and use that Insight in the combine than the variety reference screenshots are present and that situation causes no grief.

I am not able to use a spray map for reference at harvest time because the spraying was done with a different Insight. This is really not a problem for me.

The real mess comes about with larger operations where the planting might have been done with two Insights in two planter tractors working together in the same field. If those two Insights are moved to two combines for harvest, each Insight will only have the reference map for those portions of the field that it had planted.

It might be desirable to somehow meld the two reference maps together and then import them back into both Insights so each combine would have a complete variety reference map of the entire field.

To my knowledge this is not possible. SMS will meld them together nicely and the printed maps would be complete and correct. I believe the best approach in that type of situation would be to use printed maps if the reference is really desired. This melded map cannot be imported back into the Insight(s).

The situation of having more than one Insight operating in the same field for the same operation causes all kinds of situations with autoswath also. Again the problem is that each Insight only knows what it has done and can't adjust for what the other rig(s) have done.

This multiple unit situation is common with other brands also and is most often the case. I gather that the Rinex folks may have tried to address this situation with a networking scheme. My guess is that the various rigs working together communicate back and forth so that each rig knows what the other(s) have done.

The backup and restore business that Bo and Macy refer to will help out with some of these problems but not all.

This is not my situation but may shed some light on a possible strategy. Suppose all the planting is done with one Insight and one planter but harvesting is done with two combines and two Insights. The combine that has the Insight that planted the entire crop would be fine and have the complete variety reference maps. The other Insight would not have this information and thus no reference maps.

If a backup of the planting Insight is made and saved to a memory card, this card could be inserted into the second Insight and a Restore be performed. The second Insight will display a warning message that this information is from a different Insight which is correct. Proceed with the restore operation.

At the end of the Restore operation the second Insight will be identical to the other Insight. You must be aware that any operations done with the second Insight will be lost.

If the goal is to get the reference variety maps in both combines this procedure might be acceptable.

In my case, I try to get my old "master" Insight to have the proper fields and all configurations for every operation in it before any field work starts. I make a backup of this and restore the second Insight with that file. At that point in time they are both identical. As each is used they become different.

Suppose that at harvest time I wanted to use the second Insight in the combine (so I could leave the old one in the tractor for autopilot) which did not actually plant the crop. I could once again backup the Insight that was used for planting and restore the other one that will be in the combine. This should work fine but I would lose any spray information on the second Insight so it would be necessary to have copied and probably processed those files prior to doing the restore.

The backup and restore trick can be useful but has great potential for confusion.

Edited by tedbear 8/2/2008 08:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)