AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Product Savings? Please explain.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 7/30/2008 23:48 (#425312 - in reply to #425252)
Subject: RE: Counting rows...

Macy - 7/30/2008 21:54

See, this is where I always had it over Dad... It was very easy to tell the 12th and 24th rows when I planted. I never bothered to count :) But, yeah, it was a pain in the butt when Dad planted. Even then, though, there were still planter tracks, so you didn't count. You just shot the middle between the outside planter lift wheel tracks. I could count on one hand the number of times I missed by a row in many years of spraying that way. I'm sure that's different on larger machinery and faster sprayers.

Actually, most of the time, I srayed 18 rows on the first pass, and then all successive passes had me running where the planter tractor ran. That was the easiest spraying.

My point is, we didn't get enough info in the original post to really evaluate his situation. But, if he is talking about BroadAcre spraying, and is making the product come out exactly right, then I think he has places that are only 90 to 95% of targeted rate, and other places that are 200% of targeted rate. If that is found to be acceptable, then there is no product savings for autosteer.

Hah, yeah, I haven't done an extremely large amount of spraying on row crop stuff but what you're saying would work well with your spray rig being twice the size of your planter. We plant 16 30" rows and our sprayer is 76' 8". When we got it, it was 75' set up with 20" spacing. We wanted less nozzles to deal with and we wanted to be able to use drop nozzles on row crops so we switched it to 30" spacing. The rest of the story is a mess to explain but in the process it turned into an almost 77' sprayer. Anyways, suffice it to say, we wouldn't consistently be anywhere and would be trying to find foam that had dropped between rows or we would be very slowly counting 30 and 2/3 of a row at each end all day.

Your point on not having enough information in the original post is well taken. I would venture to say that it's likely he was overlapping more before auto-steer because he said he agrees that with auto-steer you use less water. I would also tend to lean towards believing that if 90 to 95% of the targeted rate is acceptable, then it would be possible to minimize overlap and put that rate on a larger percentage of the entire field and still save a significant amount of money.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)