AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raven Lightbar
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/31/2008 07:28 (#425416 - in reply to #424826)
Subject: RE: Raven Lightbar

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
When I spray corn and soybeans in my case I prefer to use the ROW or SED setting since both crops are on 30" rows. I want the lightbar to help get me on the right set of rows as I pull in. After that I manually steer the tractor down the rows.

Both the ROW and SED settings are more desirable than using the more familiar AB line settings for this situation.

With either the ROW or SED setting the operator needs to push a button close to each end. This will be either the top or bottom button depending on the direction that the field is being sprayed. When the button is pushed the position of the next pass is calculated based on the location where the button was pushed. Since the new set of rows is determined from where the button was pushed, this plan in effect does a swath recal at each end. This prevents the position from "creeping" across the field due to GPS drift or planter error.

The difference between the ROW and SED settings is that with the ROW setting the system "goes to sleep" so to speak after progressing down the rows aways. With SED (actually designed for seeding operations) the LEDs continue to show your position relative to the assumed correct path. The operator still follows the rows but the position indicated can be reassuring. This works quite well if the field was planted with an autopilot system.

The procedure I follow is to push either the top button or bottom button as I approach an end. The lightbar will then indicate that the correct path is 60' (in my case) to the left or right. I then perform my other end of passes actions and start to turn. The lightbar will indicate the distance to the turn in point. I need to lead this measurment somewhat due to the fact that the lightbar is directly over my head but this works quite well with a bit of practice.

This in combination with my Insight display confirms that I am in fact on the correct rows.

Edited by tedbear 7/31/2008 07:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)