AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tedbear -- tractor wiring strategy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 7/28/2008 10:29 (#423434)
Subject: tedbear -- tractor wiring strategy

This is mostly directed at tedbear because he had some good suggestions on my previous post about connectors and I'm not sure I fully understood but any ideas are appreciated.

Between the replies I got on the previous posts I think I've got enough information to determine what connectors I'll be using for various applications. However, the overall wiring strategy is something that I'd like some help on.

I think I'm going to quickly grow tired of running new wires to the battery or some random hot that I can find in the tractor cab when adding new electrical components. To eliminate this problem, I'm thinking of something that I would refer to as a "bus bar". This is from my aviation background and maybe it's the same thing in automotive and electrical wiring. In case it isn't the same elsewhere, here's a definition I found:

"A bus bar is used as a terminal in the airplane electrical system to connect the main electrical system to the equipment using electricity as a source of power. This simplifies the wiring system and provides a common point from which voltage can be distributed throughout the system."

This paragraph isn't really a necessary read in regards to my question, but provides insight if you need it later. In other words, feel free to skip to the next one. In an airplane the bus bar in that description is an actual metallic bar which has connectors on it so that you can easily hook wires to it. Sometimes each of these connections have a fuse or circuit breaker and other times they do not. There is always a main fuse in the wire that connects the battery to each bus bar. Usually there are multiple bus bars. Sometimes this fuse is accessible from inside the cockpit, other times it is not. Usually there will be at least two avionics bus bars. Your first navigation radio will be hooked to the first avionics bus bar, the second will be hooked to the second bus bar. Same with communications radios. This way if one component blows the fuse for the entire bus bar in addition to just the individual fuses on the bus bar, the other half of your critical electronics will still work.

I would like to have some sort of a "bus bar" type of an idea in the tractor. It doesn't have to have the same level of redundancy that would be required in an aircraft obviously, but the same concept would make wiring a lot easier for me. In this situation there would be one rather large wire going from the battery to the cab which would have a very large fuse close to the battery. I don't know if it's practical to run electric pumps of 30+ amps off of something like this or not. Perhaps I would need a second bar for things like that and the first bar would be for GPS type of stuff.  Ted, I think you mentioned something like this in your reply to my previous thread but I didn't understand how you did it so much. Any insight from anyone is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)