AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I would like to use GPS data from my Beeline Arro in my JD GREENSTAR display for yield monitoring.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/20/2006 07:52 (#37338 - in reply to #37271)
Subject: Possible "Workaround"

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Both parties pretty well agree that "temporarily" hooking up to a PC "wakes up" the GPS port, Then the GPS can be hooked back up to the Greenstar and GPS is received as desired

I assume that GPS continues to work until the system is shutdown. I also assume that the next time the system is restarted that the PC again needs to be used temporarily.

I am not sure what the PC is doing when it is temporarily hooked to GPS. When the PC is hooked to the GPS, a connection is being made between the transmit line of the PC to the receive line of the GPS. Some type of signal is being sent to the GPS which is not happening with the Greenstar.

My "Over Night Thought" is to create a cable that would go in between the current Raven cable and the GPS which would simulate the action that the PC is performing when it is temporarily connected. The transmit line would just go "straight through" but the recieve line probably needs a connection. As the other Poster has indicated this might be as simple as tying the line to signal ground.

Possibly the line needs to be tied "high" or possibly a pulse needs to be created which could be done with a momentary push button.

In any case it would seem to me that this cable could perform the "wake up" function that the PC does without having to actually use the PC. Even if a button had to be pushed to wake up the GPS, this would be much easier than hooking up a PC every day. If tying the line to signal line to signal ground does the trick then the startup would be transparent.

Apparently the Beeline folks are using this scheme to inform the GPS that another device is present. This is somewhat along the same thinking as to what is done with radar guns in certain tractors. Upon starting certain Deere tractors, the Dash system looks to see if power is returning on a fourth pin in the radar cable. If power is returned, the assumption is that a radar gun is currently connected and the system behaves using radar. If power is not returned the system assumes no radar gun and utilizes transmission speed only.

This is part of the reason why there are four pins on some radar guns and only three on others. Power, Ground and signal are always needed but on the four pin units, the fourth pin is sometimes used as a signal that a gun is present. When hooking a three pin radar gun to one of those systems expecting four, it is necessary to tie the fourth pin to the power pin so that the system will recognize that a radar gun is connected.

Another thought is to wire the GPS "Hot" with a switch, use a PC to wake it up and then leave the GPS on during the Harvest season but shut everything else off. The cable solution seems like a better approach.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)