AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I would like to use GPS data from my Beeline Arro in my JD GREENSTAR display for yield monitoring.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/19/2006 06:44 (#37103 - in reply to #36638)
Subject: RE: I would like to use GPS data from my Beeline Arro in my JD GREENSTAR display for yield monitorin

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have not tried this combination of equipment but have some experience with the idea of getting GPS from one device to another.

A couple of things come to mind: 1) is the cable the proper cable and 2) is the GPS configured to output the proper NEMA messages and at the proper BAUD rate etc. I am not familiar with the NEMA messages that the Greenstar requires. However this information should be easily obtainable from your dealer.

There can be confusion when attaching cables as a "Null Modem" type cable may be necessary in certain installations. A "Null Modem" type cable simply switches the Transmit and Receive lines and is usually necessary if a Gender Change in the DB9 connectors is required.

The NEMA messages sent by the GPS must be in agreement with what the Greenstar system is expecting. Generally GPS receivers can be setup to output the proper messages.

Many GPS receivers have a second port for connection to other devices such as you are trying to do. In your case are you using a second port or tapping into the port that runs the Autosteering? If you are tapping into the port that goes to the AutoSteer, the GPS output rate is possibly too fast for the Greenstar (it needs to be fast for the Autosteer to work properly). Using a second port is possibly a necessity.

The second port is usually set to 4800 8-N-1 which is commonly what the new device would expect. However many GPS receivers will send out the entire set of NEMA messages which can "overload" the new device. In the case of a Garmin GPS hooked to an older Ag Leader Yield Monitor this was a problem. The cure was to use a special Garmin program on a PC and set the output from the Garmin so that only the NEMA messages needed by the Ag Leader were sent. This might be necessary in your situation.

I would try to determine what messages are currently being sent out of the GPS to a computer. There are some free programs around that will display the messages being sent etc. This will allow you to determine if the GPS out is in agreement with what the Greenstar needs. If it is not you will need some way to change the setup on the second port out of the GPS.

If I understand you correctly, plugging the GPS into the computer and then plugging it into the Greenstar results in success. How long does this connection continue to work? Does it work until things are shutdown and then not work the next time they are fired up?

I have encountered many problems with GPS connections but have not seen a situation where hooking to another device "temporarily" cures the problem.

Edited by tedbear 8/19/2006 06:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)