AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

drone for christmas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

potentialag
Posted 12/18/2015 23:36 (#4970887 - in reply to #4966827)
Subject: RE: drone for christmas

Dwight IL
First lets get this out, that I am a drone dealer. (I concentrate on education first, meeting your goals 2nd, and sales third) However I am a farmer first, and have had my own Ag Drone Kit for 2 years now, a Phantom 2. That being said if your significant other is looking for a decent drone option for you, the best thing going for the $ is the Phantom 3. There are two models that fit into the ag sector one being the Standard, and the other the Professional. The standard is cheaper but you only have a range of around 1300ft while the professional will easily fly across a field without issue (generally up to 1 mile give or take).

If you are serious about using one on the farm, i HIGHLY recommend buying a kit that has extra batteries and a hard case. I usually have 3-4 fully charged batteries with me in the morning and will easily kill all of them by lunch. Flight times on the Phantom 3 average around 20 minutes and the Phantoms come with their own 2.7 or 4k camera (no need to buy a gimbal or gopro). examples here (http://www.potentialag.com/drones-sales.html)

Comparing other options, like the 3DR Solo: The Solo is a great ship and is one of the very few that offers complete control of the GOPRO camera. However, the SOLO is cheaper than the phantom 3, but usually doesnt come with a gimbal or gopro (you can easily spend $300 and $400 more respectvely). That aside, I really like the SOLO for short range use (it wont go past 1500ft or so at very best). Parts (props) and service can be harder to come by.

My honest recommendation for anyone starting out with their first drone is to look at a used Phantom 2 Ag kit. They are out there and are coming down in price. The kits generally have quality refurbished ships, their own FPV systems (no need for an iphone or ipad) and some will come with their own GOPRO cameras. Ive sold a few systems like this to new comers for economical prices. Parts, batteries and service are still widely available for the phantom 2's. They offer 1mile (give or take) range, and with decent antennas can achieve video FPV to that same distance.

Summary: SOLO's are great and can be economical but only for short ranges
Phantom 3's is the rig to have for a farm, if you dont mind spending a little more for quality and practicality ($1199-1999 buys a very well equipped kit including case, batteries, extra props and more)
Phantom 2 Ag Kits (used) are widely available (i do have a very nice kit in stock at the moment) and are a great and relatively inexpensive way to learn how to use a drone on the farm, while still achieving long distance flights to the back corner of your farm.

At any rate, education is my #1 priority and sales second, if you have any questions feel free to call me at 815-tw0 five eight-1503 anytime during the day and I will be glad to help.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)