AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn in c-crop rye, Ken Ferrie
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

clayball farms
Posted 11/19/2015 21:40 (#4907576)
Subject: corn in c-crop rye, Ken Ferrie

Cen Ks
If a conversation on this topic has already taken place, direct me to it please.
What's some comments on recent Farm Journal / Ken Ferrie article on the perils of planting corn into c-crop rye??? We are dabbling with the concept in "our" area ( ALL dryland,100 bu/a avg) with some success.. and some times otherwise. I have done some corn behind rye for last 2 years using early termination. This last spring, a neighbor let some rye go to partial head before planting and spraying... it was his best corn. We struggle to keep adequate residue on our crops , out heavy clays need mulch..The seed bed behind rye is amazing,even when terminated at 8-12 in tall...Is the alleopathic damage less at partiall/ full head than at vegetative stage.?If a farmer understands the carbon/nitrogen aspect of what's going on and manages N accordingly, is it as risky as Ferrie makes it to be?
Check out this post....this looks awesome!! Do we need to send Ken Ferrie on a tour to see some real c-crop management? Any of you guys with some expertise clue the rest of us in..... I don't think this is a photoshop trick of Groff's !!
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=580058&mid=478...

Edited by clayball farms 11/19/2015 21:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)