AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Changing air in combine tires, dealer recommends synthetic, is it NAT approved?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Alberta Farmer
Posted 11/19/2015 18:38 (#4907118)
Subject: Changing air in combine tires, dealer recommends synthetic, is it NAT approved?

West Central Alberta Coldest, wettest edge

I can't believe I never knew you had to do this before, tire dealer just told me this fall, so I am doing them all.  No wonder I go through so many tires.  All had old stale air in them, some of these implements could have 40 year old air, I probably shouldn't be admitting this on a public forum, it could really affect my resale value.  Draining them is making a big mess, I can't seem to get it into the bucket for recycling, keeps spilling out everywhere, it is all over the shop now.  How do I clean this up?  Could I get in trouble for polluting?  Will it damage the paint?  Should I get the dealer to drain them next time too, they say they have the proper recovery machines, promise to have no visible spills?  Tire dealer sold me new tire filters ( Are they ever expensive!!)  and is really pushing the synthetic air, claims it will work better in our cold climate. And won't need to be changed twice a year like the regular stuff they sell.  But wow, what a difference in price.  Is it worth it?  What is the experience of NAT members, go with the synthetic and only change it less often, and have better traction in winter, or stick with the regular and take my chances?  Will the regular air void my warranty?  What about mixing brands of air, or mixing regular with synthetic?  Can I mix JD air with CNH?   Which is better?  Either way the dealer needs to come out to install the new air and filters.  I thought I could at least install the filters myself, but they won't tell me how to install them and insist it must be done by a professional.  They also offered to check the muffler bearing while they are out here.  It sure is great to have a dealer that offers such great service and looks after a person.  Most would just keep selling new tires every time they fail from old air and plugged filters, and never say a word.  I'll be taking all of my business to them for now on.  Really honest and generous folks.  They even offered to check the air in  the track hoe and ski-doo while they are here, no charge, make sure they already have the winter weight of synthetic air.

Combine about 6" too tall to fit into the shop, and I needed to get it somewhere with heat to melt the glaciers off of the sieves and grain pan etc.  So I am changing the air(Most anyways) in the tires to get it to fit.  The joys of combining in November.  

Edited by Alberta Farmer 11/19/2015 18:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)