AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Greenstar signal jamming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

JakeH.
Posted 6/26/2008 14:08 (#404937 - in reply to #403312)
Subject: RE: Greenstar signal jamming

2 things -

1. Is it actually affecting the signal, or just giving the message? You can go to the StarFire page and see the signal meter. Try keying and holding the mic a few seconds, and see if it changes the signal any. Often times, the reciever will "see" the blast of energy, but it won't actually do anything. If this is the case, hit the "do not warn again" button and forget it.

2. If it really is knocking out the sattelites, there's a couple things you can try. Normally, it's 1 of 3 things - the radio itself not being shielded enough or damaged, the antenna cable being either too "cheap" or damaged, or the antenna itself. I usually start with the antenna itself, they're easy to swap with another. If that doesn't do it, I stick a mag-mount base on in a different spot. The guy that makes the cabs apparently doesn't talk to the guy that makes the reciever mounts, because they're too close in many cases. Combines with Big Tops are the worst, the tank extensions reflect the signal energy and shoots it right at the reciever. If it still doesn't do it, I swap the radio with another. On occasion, even another radio exactly the same will work. And wattage doesn't seem to matter much - a newer, more powerful, but better shielded radio often works better than an older radio with less power but less shielding. If it's STILL messing up, I try a new cable. The factory installed Deere antenna cables DO cause problems. It's pretty cheap cable, on a few I've been able to fix the problem with a new double-shielded cable OF THE EXACT LENGTH NEEDED. Extra cable means extra resistance, and therefore more energy that gets splattered around the cab area instead of broadcast from the antenna. And the ends can be the culprit, also. A bad end will release a blast of energy in bad spots. Absolute worst - case, I've seen one combine that had the top of the cab lined with steel window screen (above the headliner, luckily). It goes to the "tinfoil hat" theory, but in reverse - it keeps the energy blasts below the plane of the reciever, and it seems to work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)