AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What are good tractor inner tubes...don't buy these
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

west illini
Posted 7/5/2015 08:42 (#4662108)
Subject: What are good tractor inner tubes...don't buy these

IL
I put new 18.4x38 Firestones on the 4450 last fall with new tubes ( prairie land FS uses Carlisle ). While the tractor was sitting on the auger ( after only driven 1mile after being mounted) tractor was on the ground. Tube had split. A few days later I moved it to another bin 4 miles away. Went to move it and the other side was on ground. FS claimed there was a bad batch of tubes and they were working on the problem. Forward to early this spring, and a tube slit out again (3rd one). Fed up with FS only handling the same problem tubes I called another nearby tire shop. Put a Firestone tube in.
Guess What. Yesterday, on a holiday Saturday, loaded sprayer, the other side went out again! That makes 4 bad tubes Carlisle tubes from Prairieland FS since last fall. ( about 120 hrs on the tach, with quite a bit of auger time )
I have it jacked up for when the second tire shop gets their voice mail in the morning. ( no after hrs number) I just keep agitating the Load of RU and Cadet ever so often now. And hope it goes not rain

End of rant
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Thud
Posted 7/5/2015 08:48 (#4662119 - in reply to #4662108)
Subject: RE: What are good tractor inner tubes...don't buy these

Near-north Ontario, French River
Are the tubes failing or are they getting pinched when mounting the tire? We've had a few tubes fail soon after installation, in all those cases either the tube got pinched or the stem got cut during the mounting process. Not sure what brand our tire guys use but I suspect it chinese like everything else.
durallymax
Posted 7/5/2015 08:56 (#4662126 - in reply to #4662108)

Wi
Is there something the tire guys are missing with your rim and or tire that is ruining the tube? That's usually the case when multiples fail, but with two different tire shops one of them should've noticed it. Did you watch them install it? How well did they inspect tire?

Firestone's natural rubber tubes work good but aren't cheap. Not always necessary either especially on a bias tire.

Edited by durallymax 7/5/2015 08:57
west illini
Posted 7/5/2015 08:58 (#4662129 - in reply to #4662119)

IL
They split
west illini
Posted 7/5/2015 09:00 (#4662132 - in reply to #4662126)

IL
I saw one rim. Clean.
1456IH
Posted 7/5/2015 09:23 (#4662170 - in reply to #4662132)

southeast indiana
tire shop here tries to push cheap tubes as well.. I had the same results as you. I only use firestone natural rubber tubes now. so far so good
cbellfarms
Posted 7/5/2015 09:26 (#4662173 - in reply to #4662108)

NW IL, Mercer County
Had same problem on 4450 except just one tire. Replaced tubes 4 times and wouldnt hardly last a week. Checked the tire over real good and it had a sidewall bump that was pinching tube. Replaced the tire and been good ever since.

Edited by cbellfarms 7/5/2015 09:28
west illini
Posted 7/5/2015 09:48 (#4662207 - in reply to #4662173)

IL
What really ticked me was when the guy at FS said " we can't do anything about it , we don't make the tubes ". Reminded him that we had bought 3 sets of vehicle tires plus these tractor tires from him , but not anymore .
steerstopper
Posted 7/5/2015 09:53 (#4662215 - in reply to #4662108)

Will the tire run tubless? Or change tube manufacturers
Curt Keiser
Posted 7/5/2015 09:58 (#4662225 - in reply to #4662108)

Beresford SD
Why do you need tubes? Everything we put on our tractors is tubeless. We do all our tires ourselves.
cbellfarms
Posted 7/5/2015 10:03 (#4662234 - in reply to #4662207)

NW IL, Mercer County
We kind of went through same thing. But they have always been good to us. Not a lot of options here anymore, especially locally.
west illini
Posted 7/5/2015 10:06 (#4662238 - in reply to #4662170)

IL
FS wouldn't get Firestone tubes. I asked for them took a chance. Now paying for it
durallymax
Posted 7/5/2015 10:31 (#4662269 - in reply to #4662132)

Wi
west illini - 7/5/2015 09:00

I saw one rim. Clean.

Rim is only part of it, the tire needs to be thoroughly inspected too. Could be something in it that is ruining the tube, without a good eye, lighting and actually feeling every inch of the tire it can go unnoticed.

Was this a new tire that is tube type? Or a tubeless tire that won't hold air so a tube was installed? If the latter, was the leak found and repaired? If not then whatever was leaking could be ruining your tube, either a split, or a puncture, etc.
durallymax
Posted 7/5/2015 10:42 (#4662291 - in reply to #4662207)

Wi
west illini - 7/5/2015 09:48

What really ticked me was when the guy at FS said " we can't do anything about it , we don't make the tubes ". Reminded him that we had bought 3 sets of vehicle tires plus these tractor tires from him , but not anymore .

Sure they can, Carlisle rear tractor tubes have a 5 year warranty. If it's the tube itself being part of a" bad batch" then a good tire dealer will work with their reps on being reimbursed for the failed tubes. They may not get their time back but that's the cost of doing business to a point. A good dealer will just replace then because it is not your fault if the tube has a manufacturing defect. That's part of why you pay them a premium to do the work versus doing it yourself. They also make more money using a cheaper tube and thus should expect more call backs. Carlisle tubes in general are not that bad but they are a cheaper tube overall.

That said every dealer will be different, but the cost of the tube if truly a manufacturing defect should be covered by then and then the dealer can do the work to get their money from the tube manufacturer. If the dealer won't do this it's because they don't want to go through the work or they suspect it will not be warrantied because it may have been their own fault.

As long as their tech found no new damage, tubes should be lasting a very long time. That means your dealer has a job to finish. It's one of two scenarios, the tube has a defect or the tube wasn't installed properly. The latter is why you pay them to do it. They are the trained techs that are supposed to know what they are doing. There's a lot of very good tire guys out there but it's not very glamorous work and the turnover can be high. Many are thrown into tires and learn as they go. Could be a new guy that just doesn't know much, could be one that's sloppy, if it was just one occasion it could be an honest mistake. The fact that multiple tubes from different brands and different tire techs installing them all failed makes it seem like there is something in your tire that both techs missed that is causing your tubes to fail.

Asking them about these things may get you somewhere. Being polite versus defensive works best. Ask questions as if you don't know the answers, make the service person feel superior but when he doesn't have the right answer you will jog his brain and things may get somewhere. Ask him if the tubes have a warranty, ask him if there's maybe something in the tire causing the issue. Try working with them versus against them at first, then go somewhere else if you can and things don't get better.

Edited by durallymax 7/5/2015 10:46
dnkag
Posted 7/5/2015 10:46 (#4662295 - in reply to #4662225)

Lantry, SD
I put Kleber(pronounced clay-bar I believe) tubes in my 895. Was told they are supposed to be the best...
OL2150
Posted 7/5/2015 10:48 (#4662300 - in reply to #4662108)

Had the same problem on a 4020 we restored. Imported P.O.S. tubes. When ever I use tubes I always get the good Firestone tubes from now on. They cost a third more but they beat breaking the tire down and doing it again. This was 2 years ago so apparently some tire stores are still getting crap. When it comes to tires cheap is not the answer.
west illini
Posted 7/5/2015 11:08 (#4662326 - in reply to #4662269)

IL
Brand new tires with matching tubes
rocker
Posted 7/5/2015 11:29 (#4662353 - in reply to #4662300)

NE Alberta
I suspect that the new tires are tube type, and that is the reason you are installing tubes, but IF they are tubeless, I would suggest running without a tube and installing "Liquitube" sealant. Our experience has been it works MUCH better than a tube.
durallymax
Posted 7/5/2015 11:38 (#4662374 - in reply to #4662326)

Wi
west illini - 7/5/2015 11:08

Brand new tires with matching tubes

Now that I read it again I see they're new and the only ones that have failed have been the Carlisle installed by FS correct?

west illini
Posted 7/5/2015 11:39 (#4662375 - in reply to #4662291)

IL
I was very polite thru the first 2 tube replacements. ( same tech installed new set plus 2 repairs.). Third flat I calmly but sternly told the salesman this is unacceptable and I am tired of going through it. He claimed everyone else is having the problem too. But he can't do anything about it. I reminded him all the tires we've bought and that would have to go somewhere else if nothing can be done.

I don't think I have ever named a business in a complaint on this site. I have been told I don't make a loud enough squeaky wheel, like others would . Well I've had enough. This wheel is done .
( btw tried to visit with one of their agronomy salesman on some poss new business with them last fall. The young guy let me know I wasn't big enough for him . )
west illini
Posted 7/5/2015 11:40 (#4662379 - in reply to #4662374)

IL
Correct
west illini
Posted 7/5/2015 11:43 (#4662382 - in reply to #4662374)

IL
Correct
PatCMO
Posted 7/5/2015 11:44 (#4662383 - in reply to #4662108)

Pilot Grove, Missouri
Have been using Firestone tubes and had a year old tube split at a seam a month ago. Wasn't sure if the rim would seal up tubeless, but tried anyway. Has been fine since. I have decided even if it takes new rims, I will be tubeless from here on out. Patrick
Tired of Working
Posted 7/5/2015 11:45 (#4662386 - in reply to #4662300)

Central Sask. RM#254, Canada
I have used and sold hundreds of Carlisle tubes and have had real good service out of them, Only ones ever had to be redone had been pinched by installer or the tire had a rough spot or cracked liner and bit the tube .. I would take the big part of stem out and the plastic nut off so you can push the stem into the tire then use a fat rubber valve stem in the hole . You can work it into the hole from the outside with a dull flat screwdriver , put some lube or soap on it to make it go in easy and it will seal up nice . Air it up and go to work . I have one that's been running like that for years on a spraying tractor. It was a Tube-Type tire and worked fine .. Did lots of them like that over the years to keep a machine going ..
packerfan
Posted 7/5/2015 12:32 (#4662453 - in reply to #4662375)

Western illinois
I'd tell you what FS stands for, but I'd be sent to banned camp. As for the snot nosed agronomy salesman, he'll get his. I'd make sure and have all my fields signed by the competitor.
farmerboy11
Posted 7/5/2015 12:41 (#4662468 - in reply to #4662108)

Lancaster, Pa
I put 100s of tubes in a year and only use Firestone Natrual Rubber tubes. Rarely do I have a problem with them and if I do 99% of the time it's somthing I missed on the tire or pinched it. I've only ever returned one for warrenty in 10 years.
Jon Hagen
Posted 7/5/2015 12:43 (#4662471 - in reply to #4662353)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
rocker - 7/6/2015 10:29

I suspect that the new tires are tube type, and that is the reason you are installing tubes, but IF they are tubeless, I would suggest running without a tube and installing "Liquitube" sealant. Our experience has been it works MUCH better than a tube.

+1 We had endless tube problems, especially with radial tires. The big tire shop that does most ag tire work here in about 60 mile radius, pushes very hard to install tires with no tube, but 1-3 gallon or more of tire sealant, that cut our tire problems by 90%. No tube failures and small punctures self seal. Only need to call the tire truck when a puncture is really big, too big for sealer to fix.

These guys have all they can do just replacing worn out or damaged beyond repair tires, they dont want small puncture repair jobs. If you have a big but repairable puncture, they ask us to park the tire with the puncture on top, that way the tire sealer is mostly drained to the bottom of the tire, so a cleanup of tire sealent is just a putty knife scrape down then glue in a large patch or boot.
No tube with sealant is the best way to go IMHO.

Edited by Jon Hagen 7/5/2015 12:46
Jon Hagen
Posted 7/5/2015 12:58 (#4662495 - in reply to #4662386)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Tired of Working - 7/6/2015 10:45

I have used and sold hundreds of Carlisle tubes and have had real good service out of them, Only ones ever had to be redone had been pinched by installer or the tire had a rough spot or cracked liner and bit the tube .. I would take the big part of stem out and the plastic nut off so you can push the stem into the tire then use a fat rubber valve stem in the hole . You can work it into the hole from the outside with a dull flat screwdriver , put some lube or soap on it to make it go in easy and it will seal up nice . Air it up and go to work . I have one that's been running like that for years on a spraying tractor. It was a Tube-Type tire and worked fine .. Did lots of them like that over the years to keep a machine going ..

I never thought of dropping the split tube inside and working in a new tubeless valve stem, great tip.
When were having so much tube trouble, I used to remove the nut aroud the tube stem, liberally coat the stem with silicone rubber sealant and screw the nut back on. After a couple houres curing time, the glued in tube stem worked just like a tibeless stem with a normal 15-20 psi pressure. I ran some for several years that way.
Brassring
Posted 7/5/2015 13:19 (#4662525 - in reply to #4662238)
Subject: FS question

St.Clair Co. IL.
I had a kind of situation with a implement dealer years ago, went to the boss and had him straighten out no more smart aleck salesman,
the last time I checked FS was a FARMER OWNED business, I would go to the manager directly and ask him just how big do you have to be to get service? and if that don't work go to the annual meeting ( they have one every yr. here) and make your voice heard, I'm sure you won't be the only one with a bone to pick after that.
you may get branded but hopefully it will correct things and show the SPECIAL folks who think it's their company who's company it really is.
JMO
Bob
Survivor
Posted 7/5/2015 14:01 (#4662572 - in reply to #4662468)

Moreauville LA
farmerboy11 - 7/5/2015 12:41

I put 100s of tubes in a year and only use Firestone Natrual Rubber tubes. Rarely do I have a problem with them and if I do 99% of the time it's somthing I missed on the tire or pinched it. I've only ever returned one for warrenty in 10 years.

IF I had to run tubes, that is the only one or Forestry tubes.

Just because something is designed doesn't mean it will work well, or even at all.
John K
Posted 7/5/2015 15:59 (#4662702 - in reply to #4662108)
Subject: Why run tubes??

East Central Kansas
We quit running tubes many years ago. Solved a lot of problems.

JAK
farmerboy11
Posted 7/5/2015 16:18 (#4662727 - in reply to #4662702)
Subject: RE: Why run tubes??

Lancaster, Pa
Their are still Tube type tires made and if you're tire or rim is not good enough that is where tubes are needed. I run a tire repair shop and 60-70 percent of all tires still get tubes for liquid or tube type tires.
Tired of Working
Posted 7/5/2015 20:05 (#4663070 - in reply to #4662727)
Subject: RE: Why run tubes??

Central Sask. RM#254, Canada
Why would you need tubes for liquid ?? We run Calcium in our tubeless but we have added rust inhibitor [ Sodium Bichromate ] No rusting and lasts forever , comes in 50# bags ..
dixonman
Posted 7/5/2015 20:25 (#4663120 - in reply to #4662238)

I had a firestone tube do the same thing, tire dealer says no good ones out there anymore.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)