AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What model Raven monitor is this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/2/2015 10:54 (#4425126 - in reply to #4424936)
Subject: The classic Raven 400

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
This is the Raven SCS-400 (Spary Control System). This is the first microprocessor controlled spray controller that Raven produced. I owned one and worked with them when I was employed as a tech. They were very dependable. The first 400's were hard wired and the the cables leading to it were not detachable. Quickly this was changed. Some enhancements were added through the years with the addition of a 9 volt battery to keep the memory alive during engine starts. Later an update chip was available to enhance some features. The Raven 400 pioneered the use of the user friendly interface that Raven still uses today on their non-computer models.

The 400 was replaced by the 440 and its many variants thereafter. I suspect there are many still out there doing their job faithfully. The expectation at the time they were built was to use a magnetic ground speed sensor. The 400 can work with modern Raven flowmeters as the connection and programming has remained the same from the onset.

The 330 shown on an above post is cheap one window display version of a 440. The directions for it will be confusing to use with the 400. Most of the instructions for running a 400 can be learned from a 440 manual or ask here. I can give you more information than you want to hear.

A point of warning. Be very careful when hooking the wires to the power source. Go directly to the battery and be certain that the large Red wire goes to the positive terminal (12V) and the white wire goes to a solid frame ground of the negative terminal on the battery system. On older Deere tractors that had 2-6 volt batteries in series there was some confusion. Hook the red to the battery on the right and the white to the frame or the battery on the left. Be very careful not to reverse the Red and White wires as this will cause internal damage to the circuit board. This can be fixed (I've done many) but can be avoided by being careful.

Edited by tedbear 3/2/2015 11:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)