AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Talked to a banker.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

OldMcdonald
Posted 1/23/2015 09:56 (#4332138 - in reply to #4332064)
Subject: RE: Talked to a banker.....

Napanee, Ontario
yes, doubling from 3.5 - 7% when, land prices are already predicated on that 3.5%, is indeed the same as from 9-18.

"I think it would be much easier to have rates double from 3% then it was to have the double from 9%.. There are some variable rate loans out there at 2.5% so those could actually triple. I don't think they will but nobody thought interest would go to 18% in the 80's either."

I'm on the flip side of that - it will be actually impossible for rates to double today, without the bond market disintegrating. In the 80's debt to GDP for the government was 30%. They could afford to raise rates much easier than today. Debt to GDP today is almost 110%. Rates literally cannot double or there will be a default. US government has so much of the maturities on the short end of the curve now, that each year roughly 8 trillion in maturities are rolled over. Default threshold is around 5%, and if rates move past that, there will be no bidders on the new issues - just like what happened in Greece, Italy, Spain... before the ECB stepped in. Which is exactly why the FED has done what it has.

Edited by OldMcdonald 1/23/2015 09:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)